Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Cutting a window into an internal brick wall

Hi everyone. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<o> </o>

Wondering if anyone has any experience with cutting a window into an internal brick wall. To give you a bit of background, this wall is a single brick 3m in length with a 600mm * 600mm brick column which houses an oven that joins it at one end and joins the external wall at the other end. The wall divides the kitchen and the dining room in a house. The column is staying as it is of obvious structural importance as most of the roof supports rest on it. The rafters in the roof run parallel to this wall (1 right on top of it) so it痴 not carrying much of a load in the middle. <o></o>

<o> </o>

What I知 interested in doing is cutting a 1.8 m (length) * 1m (high) window in the wall to open the kitchen into the dining room. The window will go from above bench top height to about 4 bricks from the ceiling. At either end of the proposed window will be the 600mm * 600mm supporting column at one end and a 600mm section of floor to ceiling wall at the other end.<o></o>

<o> </o>

This is the proposed method of attack at this stage until someone tells me my roof is going to fall in. I知 hiring one of Kennards bricksaws for the day for the job. I plan on cutting a channel along the mortar line of the top of the window which will extend 400mm into the supporting column at one end and 400mm into the wall at the other end. The channel will be cut approx 3/4 of the way through the mortar and thick enough to fit a piece of structural angle steel. I was then planning on fitting a 2.6m length of structural angle into the channel to support the overhead bricks, cutting down the sides of the window, cutting through the mortar joint at the top of the window from the other side to the piece of steel angle and knocking the window through with a sledge hammer. This hopefully will not involve the good ole duck and cover principle employed when the roof falls in.<o></o>

<o> </o>

So comments, suggestions, easier ways of doing it? I知 also interested to know what size angle would be suitable for a span of 1.8m. Do I need to put a piece of angle steel in? I hope the above describes the situation in enough detail for people to visualiseit. If not I値l try and take some pics and post them.<o></o>

<o> </o>

Cheers<o></o>

<o> </o>

Dale<o></o>

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ckwork+opening

there has been some discussion of this in the earlier thread.

the search function on this bulletin board is very good and always worth trying.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Brilliant!!!! Cheers

Have you given any thought to taking the opening up to the ceiling and or timber framing the window head?
    Jack

Yeah, I did give it some thought but I'm going to render the wall after ( 80's dark brick feature wall ewwwwwww ) and would prefer the look of a uniform finish around the cutout.