Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Trailer with over width?

Gīday

I was referred to this forum from the sister(?) forum (renovate forum) with a question that I have regarding my trailer.
    OK,hereīs the story:
    We are planning to migrate to OZ in late summer this year.I have lined up a job in Wagin,WA and I am planning to bring my Ute and trailer with me for a number of reasons:
    first,I wonīt need a sea can that way
    second,I will have my own vehicle and safe therefor the hassle of buying some #### can there,just because itīs cheap and ending up fixing all the time (did that here and canīt say I liked it a lot).
    third,my Ute is (even though itīs just a half ton) pulling power,able to transport what I need to be transported which might come in handy when buying a house.
    The Ute is now 15 years old and doesnīt need to be converted to RHD (checked that already) and vehicles like that have been already imported to OZ,so no problem on that end.
    The trailer is a 16 ft enclosed utility trailer

So,it will transport our personal belongings (ro-ro) and will come in handy when I transport my toolbox to my new employer (the toolbox weights 600kg) .
    I bought the trailer new last year (funny,how bad a timing can be,eh?)and as far as I can see,it would be hard to replace it in OZ (not that there arenīt enclosed ones,but very rare and expensive and I donīt like stuff to get wet or dusty).
    It has electric brakes and a break away system for them as well.Lighting wouldnīt be a problem BUT....it is 2.58m wide
    So,bearing in mind that vehicles on WA roads arenīt allowed to exceed 2.5 meters...what are my options?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I take it that 2.58 m is at the wheel arch, find a different set of wheels and change the wheel arch
    its only 40 mm a side and bring some spare rims
    or put the wheels on the inside of the trailer with internal wheel arch
    the side door would have to go to the other side
    the trailer coupling and lights might have to be changed to meet ADR requirments

Thanks for the quick reply
    or put the wheels on the inside of the trailer with internal wheel arch
    That could be a bit tricky,the main frame runs right behind the side wall,so that canīt be changed (or the wheels would have to run behind the frame ?)
    the side door would have to go to the other side
    Are you serious?Oh man,what a bugger .Can I weld the door shut,do you think they would accept that?I mean if I weld the bolt shut?
    The coupling is a 2 5/16" and I havenīt seen that size yet....but on a second thought,thatīs what I learned welding for

G'day G,

Have a look in this link Standards, bulletins, circulars and rules its the Western Australian vehicle licencing link. Basically your trailer will need to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR).

If you don't already realise you'll have to present your vehicle and trailer to an inspection station where they will advise.

Goodluck and don't forget which side of the road we drive on down under.
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Hi G**, and welcome to the forum, and eventually to Australia.

The Vehicle Standards Bulletin, which is the National bible for building and registering trailers in Australia, has a section (and subsequent links) on importing trailers into Australia. It states that you are required to apply for import approval before just about anything else. Once here, then the trailer will be require to be registered in W.A., and you may be able to seek an exemption from the 2500mm rule, seeing as it's only 80mm. As far as the VSB1 goes, I know of no requirement for the front door to open on any particular side, other than for a trailer/caravan fitted with cooking facilities, to have a minimum of one outward opening door on the left. But doesn't say anything about doors on any other trailers without cooking facilities. Generally, they would be on the passengers side, the theory being you're not walking out into traffic.

As for the lighting, if the US lighting requirements fitted to this trailer also comply with the European ECE standard, then they will deem to comply here in Australia. However, you may be required to change any lamps that aren't the correct colour for their location on the trailer.

Regarding the width, if the outside of the tyres are inside the 2500mm, then all you'll need to do is trim the guards down to be the same. If they're over, then you could possibly look at fitting narrower tyres.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.