Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default building a sheep wagon in 1/8th scale

i'm going to build a sheep wagon in 1/8 scale i'll try to show you from start to the end of the wagon. this should be planty of wood to do most of the job i like alder. it's a hard wood but soft so one han work with it...my pice is 2+6+18'' long first rip a 5/16'' pice the length you need to of these for the felloes, all so you need a pece 1 1/2'' by 1 1/2'' by 8 1/2'' long these or for your hubs there 2'' long each..
    Gary,

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

this is alittle ahead of my salf most of you know how to make a wheel i'm sure but for the one that don't i'll tuch on that for a 52'' wheel and a 42'' wheel,
    Gary,

this is the pic that should have been the 2nd slot..
    Gary,

Looks like a good WIP comming up here Gary,looking forward to it.
    Most of us seem to have trouble making anythig but standard one piece wheels,so ,anything you can tell us about making spoked carrage wheels will be great
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

thanks this is the way i do it and it works for me and the wheel is tuff if you drop one then stay put most of the time...i'll show you how to make one real close to the way a wheelwright does it. heres my templet..
    Gary,

this is simple and this is how it works out

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day Gary,
    Was just mentioning how excellant it'd be to have some WIP photos & build notes on one of your wagons [masterpieces].
    WOW, here's one you had already started, THANK YOU.
    Cheers crowie

you need a board with a hole the size of you hub so it fits down in it flat with a # 20 all thread in the center that gos thru the center of your hub and holds the hob plumb the lay out is all readdy layed out on your disk theres a nick where the spoke gos in to your felloes and your mark where each felloe starts so you start with#1 2 3 and on around you go you ruff cut your felloe then clean it up with a sanding disk on your drill press... your spok line gos thru your felloe so you get the pitch then you set the felloe on top the spoks and mark the lingth of your spoke just shie of your felloe then fine tune it as you fit your spoke in you have to just go slow and set your #1 felloe with 2 spoks when they match your radas and the lingth the spoke will be 2 1/4'' from hub to in side of felloe on the 52'' wheel and 1 3/4'' on the 44' wheel when you get one right then glue it and clamp it in place then work on # 2 work on getting your in side right on the wheel line and let the out side run wild when your wheel is dun and sets over night then make a jig on your disk sander with a 1/4'' dowel in the center cut a hole out the size of your hub so it will spin... this takes to pices of wood one to hold the dowel and one for the hub to set in so the felloes run smothe on the edge, then make it ajustabull in ond out so you can start out with a little bite at a time tell you have a perfect circle, and your wheel is 2 5/8th hub to out side on the 52 '' and 2 1/8 on the 44' wheel, this seems like a lot of work but you can use it over and over i can cut out the felloe and make the hubs in a hr after you have the templets i'll show you my jigs there just scraps if you need help just drop me a line
    Gary,

when we get to this point then we'll work on the boltster and reach with the hounds..
    Gary,

don't know what happend to the one pic?
    Gary

i think it may have been this one?
    Gary,

This is my simple little jig to get the wheel round...
    Gary,

one more angle,
    Gary,

this is the boltster parts,
    Gary

this put togather there 2 1/2 '' at the front and 6'' long and 5 1/2 '' at the back there 3/8''+3/8'' in size cut the back round and the joint is mortes and tenion drill a 1/8 th hole in the back of the boltster and file it out square so your 3/16 th tenion will fet snug bake sure it's all flat and has the right shape it will mortis in the x 1/8''
    Gary,

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast