Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default GMC v Ryobi v Ozito

Hey all,
    As per the title...why those 3? As a home 'handyman' (that word is used loosley), I need a sliding compound mitre saw for some odd-jobs around the house (theater screen, some landscaping...((planter boxes etc)). I figure, SCMS so I have options and flexibility if I need it.

Budget would be $200 or less.

Anyone have some thoughts or recommendations?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

GMC went belly up some years ago so any remaining stock is "old" but new (unused.) Their products were very good value and well made for the price point. I have/had a few of their products and were always very happy with them.

Ozito is "cheap and cheerful" or to put it another way, it works but is pretty crappy and not well made.

I am not a huge fan of Ryobi, not sure why, but have a couple of their products and they work OK, but I prefer Bosh at this price point.

Either GMC or Ryobi should be ok choices and do the job.

I second that.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

Hey Mighty_stanks

I have had a GMC for longer than I've had my shed (about 5 Years now), and it will not die ( and beleive me it has earned it keep, trimming 200 x 50 Jarrah boards for coffee tables), I got a 40 tooth blade after market, and do picture frames and everything, when I got it it had a set of brushes in the box and I haven't used them yet, I really want a Makita but can't justify it till the GMC dies.

HazzaB (Happy Customer)
    It's Hard to Kick Goals, When the Ba^$%##ds Keep moving the Goal Posts.

Check out my Website www.harrybutlerdesigns.com.au

Mighty,

Welcome mate. As said before GMC is deasd so don't consider it. Ther are some options for you. The second hand market for DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, Bosh, AEG for example.

These are good brands and if not abused will serve you well.

If how ever you are looking at buying new then these brands not in the tradesman range but the home handy man range are a much better proposition for you.

Have a look and ask more questions.

My only experience with GMC is a 12v drill. And like one of the other posters...it refuses to die. Sure the battery is slowly losing it's charge, but a fully charged single battery is more than enough for the type of work I do around the place...so based on that, I'd consider a GMC. Yet the fact that they are 'no more' could be tricky if something went wrong.

I'm hunting around ebay for an SCMS so I'll keep my eyes open for something in my price bracket...and if worse comes to worse...off to Bunnings.

Thanks for the advice gents.

Cheers

GMC would not be my choice simply because of after sales service, Zilch. I would certainly not dismiss Ozito completely if you are only using the tool for odd jobs around the house and not on a tradesman basis. they crry a 3 year replacement warranty and personally I have had a couple of their products and have served me well. I have no had much success with Ryobi as of late but maybe just the luck of the draw.
    Second hand electrical tools are a bit of a pot luck affair and you can end up with something that is totally useless after a few uses and with no come back on the seller unless you buy from a reputable dealer and then you will be paying through the nose for it anyway. Might be worth a trip out to your Masters store, they seem to carry a fair range of electrical tools and some of their saws were not too badly priced.
    You just have to weigh up the pro's and the cons and decide which path to take. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Who are Machtig by the way? Graysonline have a 305mm SCMS. I can't find any information about this brand. With the amount of cutting I'll plan on doing, a few sleepers, some decking for a planter box(es) and thats about it...I'm not keen on spending above, say $200/$300 for a tool that will either be sold off after to job, or tucked away in the shed.

As long as the mitre joints are accurate (and it doesn't really bother me if I have to use an external square to check the angles), then I'm happy.

Cheers