Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Second Hollow Form

Hi,

Well I have ventured back into the scary world of Hollow Forms for the second time. Nice piece of mango that I have made into a small vase or pencil holder. Finished with shellawax. I must say that I am happy with it. The top is a little wonky but thats ok.

Let me know what you think.

Todd

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Woohoo - perfection

Hi - must have made a perfect job - thanks guys

Todd

You're right in saying the top is a little wonky. Is it just the photo's or is the bottom not flush either? I was just trying to figure out how the top is wonky, looks like you just needed to true up that surface (ie. the top of the vase) before (or after) hollowing out the middle part.

Other thing my (untrained) eye picked up on was some tooling/tearout marks on the inside and lip areas, hope I'm not being too critical, just trying to help a fellow newbie out. That being said, your finish on the outside of the piece looks very good. That mango wood looks very nice too.

I should try to take some pictures of my work and post them too, just haven't got around to it.

Tim

What is the timber please, the grain looks very fibrous.
    Dragonfly
    No-one suspects the dragonfly!

I agree with "TICH", but you are learning and not an experienced wood turner, so the comments here are in the line of constructive criticism, and observation.

What Tich missed is some end grain on the inside of the top , but all in all a good effort for a novice wood turner., especially on your second effort in this style of work.

Mango is a nice timber to turn, but the grain is very open and soft, this will give you the end grain which you can see in the lip, careful SHEAR cutting and sanding will fix the open grain, and practice and experience the others .

As you build your tool range , include a bowl scraper and a hollowing tool , the marks on the inside of the bowl are more a CHATTER mark, and this is a sign that the tool rest, is too far from the end of the tool , and the tool is not supported enough.

Always ensure that your tools are SHARP!!! if you have to start pushing a tool to make it cut , stop and sharpen it,.

Jeff

Default I agree

Hi Jeff,

I am definitely still learning. I have a really nice Hamlet bowl gouge and a Hamlet roughing gouge. I fully agree with the chatter marks - as you would be aware it is not easy when you are learning. My next purchase will be a hollowing tool and a scraper of some description. The problem is that I don't have a turning club to ask for advice - I rely on you gurus - and i get great advice. But as they say the more you turn the more you learn. The good thing is that I now have a good supply of Gidgee and Mulga so I will do some stuff with that. (Pause while waiting for groans to cease) I have heard it turns up really well.

I also have a source for old gidgee fence rails - 80+ years old. Looking forward to working with that.

Thanks for the great advice - much appreciated.

Todd