Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Creating a new tool for luthiers

Hello Luthiers from the other side of the world.

I am a hand stitched rasps maker, not totally unknown from luthiers across Europe but since most if not all of you have no idea of what I do, please have a quick look at this thread : https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/ha...-rasps-136172/

When I have some free time, I try to develop a new shape of rasps especially designed for one craftmanship. In the past, a group of Luthiers and I have already created a special flat rasp for them. And now I'm working on a rasp inspired by these very tiny IBEX planes that are very common amongst European luthiers (I've no idea if this is also true in Australia).

I have way enough European Luthiers giving me their point of view on this future tool but none from your part of the world. Would some of you be interested in more info about this on-going development to bring in his opinions / ideas ?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default let's hear more!

Yes, tell us more about your handmade rasps. I'm always open to new tooling ideas.

I just checked your other thread with the video. That is really great what you do.

I would love to see your luthier rasp and if the price is right I very well could be interested in one for neck carving.

for others Rasps - Woodworking - Traditional

Quote Originally Posted by MBP View Post
    I just checked your other thread with the video. That is really great what you do.

I would love to see your luthier rasp and if the price is right I very well could be interested in one for neck carving.

for others Rasps - Woodworking - Traditional
    Thanks for your kind words.

Some times ago, an association of French Luthiers have asked me do produce this special rasps, and since then it has proven to be well appreciated amongst European luthiers :

It's a 8" flat rasp with some special specifications :
    - two different stitching grain : one per side, both fine for finishing works
    - no "big wood handle" but a handle stamp out of the steel to improve
    accessibility
    - it is wider and thinner than a usual 8” Flat rasp.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboy77 View Post
    Yes, tell us more about your handmade rasps. I'm always open to new tooling ideas.
    You can download 3 short videos at this FTP server (you have to click on "Telecharger ce fichier").

The first video called "Rabots noisettes" just show the plane that is inspiring the process.

The second video called "Proto 1" show the 1st prototype I've made and passed around some luthiers for testing.

The third video called " 2 Test Caribou" is a review of this prototype by a Luthier and his suggestion of modifications of the handle.

The oral comments are in French, sorry, but I think the images are enough to understand most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Liogier View Post
    Thanks for your kind words.

Some times ago, an association of French Luthiers have asked me do produce this special rasps, and since then it has proven to be well appreciated amongst European luthiers :

It's a 8" flat rasp with some special specifications :
    - two different stitching grain : one per side, both fine for finishing works
    - no "big wood handle" but a handle stamp out of the steel to improve
    accessibility
    - it is wider and thinner than a usual 8” Flat rasp.
    Your link did not work.

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by MBP View Post
    Your link did not work.

thanks,
    Shoud be OK now. Isn't it ?

Shoud be OK now. Isn't it ?
    Nope still no good.

Here it is.

Luthier Rasp

And now I'm working on a rasp inspired by these very tiny IBEX planes that are very common amongst European luthiers (I've no idea if this is also true in Australia).
    I'm looking at the picture of your rasp and wondering what it has in common with an Ibex violin plane?

How is your rasp markedly different from the French-made Auriou rasps I have in my workshop?

Regards Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Wait, there may be a misunderstanding due to my poor english. The rasp in the above picture is NOT the new model I try to develop. (It is a special Flat rasps I developped a couple of years ago for luthiers : special flat handle, two different stitching grain, special width and thickness).

The idea is inspired by the shape of these tiny Ibex planes – for its maneuverability and the accessibility – using a wooden handle. The wood handle receives below a “sole” of steel with the same radii as the tiny planes, and designed to be stitched with quite fine teeth (probably a stitching grain #14). On the picture below you will see the different shape of handles that have been suggested to me so far. For now my preference goes to model in the one of the lower left corner.

http://i48.servimg.com/u/f48/16/38/99/18/11332_10.jpg

Okay now things are a bit clearer. Thanks for explaining.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Liogier

Do you still make your luthier rasp? I can't see it on your website. I have some Auriou rasps but they do not make a truly flat rasp with a square end like that. I'd rather get a new flat one than grind the end off one of another one! I would use it for cleaning out neck pockets on double bass prior to chalk fitting with a sharp chisel.

I don't think I would be interested in a small rasp-plane that you propose. I use a plane for rapid removal of wood with a clean finish from the blade. I think the rasp-plane would clog much too quickly.

Yes (of course) I still produce it ... but (of course) I still didn't find the time to had it to the webstore... If you want one, you can simply order a 200 mm (regular) flat rasp and send me an email so I know its you and that you mean "luthier rasp" rather than "flat rasp".

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

There will be another order of rasps and files placed in about 4-6 weeks if anyone is interested. 20% discount off the web prices for rasps.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email