Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just some Ideas,In the first pic is a 3inch dia block glued to a 6 segment wheel blank
    I gripped the 3" block in the lathe and turned up 2 5" dia wheel rims for a horse drawn buggy ,a couple of years ago.I have since improved a bit
    Second pic is of several different types including a Toy truck Wheel
    I mainly use Metal cutting tools now for most of the turningI dont use pine anymore I mainly use huon and myrtle for wheels.It seems to be kind to me happy.Geez these pics are big.I will see what I can do.Been awhile,Out of practice LOL

g
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Some more wheels.All done Using the chuck

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day John,
    I've found that to make wheels with my profiled wheel cutter or even the holesaws I get the best results using "hardwood";
    I don't get any feathering or tear-outs.
    Maybe Bret might be able to try that type of timber/lumber in the USA;
    but I suspect others who use wood lathes will have a better idea.
    Just my 2 bob's worth, if it helps.
    Enjoy the new toy Bret.
    Cheers, crowie

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    G'Day John,
    I've found that to make wheels with my profiled wheel cutter or even the holesaws I get the best results using "hardwood";
    I don't get any feathering or tear-outs.
    crowie
    I like to use hardwood too but my hole saw doesn't
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Munruben I agree why I put wheels turned in spindle mode I can not think (Maybe I was tired It was nearly midnight when I posted) so i stand corrected.
    Hardwood is much better one with a close grain

Quote Originally Posted by Diggerdelaney View Post
    Munruben I agree why I put wheels turned in spindle mode I can not think (Maybe I was tired It was nearly midnight when I posted) so i stand corrected.
    Hardwood is much better one with a close grain
    I will be trying out some hardwoods today. and please dont think I was having a go at you. I have seen your work which is excellent so I wouldn't be trying to tell you the right way or wrong way to do anything..It was just my personal experience with turning wheels between centres.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    Some more wheels.All done Using the chuck
    Great pics Ross. I certainly envy your capabilities of making wheels. Great stuff.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    I will be trying out some hardwoods today. and please dont think I was having a go at you. I have seen your work which is excellent so I wouldn't be trying to tell you the right way or wrong way to do anything..It was just my personal experience with turning wheels between centres.
    No I should have reread my post before putting it up you are correct it is better the way you said. As for end grain very sharp tools and if the wood is soft try a little sander sealer then cut.

I think we hijacked Bet's Post on his new lathe.Sorry Bret.I am sure you will work it all out for yourself once you get some gear.The only thing I found was that everytime I made something,I came up with a lot better idea how to do it next time

Yes we seem to have Ross.. Sorry Bret but we all got excited about your new toy.
    Cheers John

No problem guys its all on the same subject. I called my dad last night and asked him if I could borrow some of his lathe tools until I get some.

Well I have been tinkering for the last hour and have not had any luck making a wheel. I think I have the wood oriented the wrong way. Basically I mounted a piece of plywood to the fact plate and then screwed a octganol piece of hard maple in the center. But when I tried to turn all I got was tear out. So I am going to have to watch some more videos on technique.

Bret

A book well worth reading and many a woodturner here in the UK has been this book.

Woodturning - woodturning_Books - The GMC Group

I should imagine that you can get it there

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    No problem guys its all on the same subject. I called my dad last night and asked him if I could borrow some of his lathe tools until I get some.

Well I have been tinkering for the last hour and have not had any luck making a wheel. I think I have the wood oriented the wrong way. Basically I mounted a piece of plywood to the fact plate and then screwed a octganol piece of hard maple in the center. But when I tried to turn all I got was tear out. So I am going to have to watch some more videos on technique.

Bret
    Sharp tools are essential Bret. Making a wheel on a faceplate or in a chuck I use a parting chisel and approach the workpiece face on. probably the wrong tool but it works for me
    Problem I find using a faceplate or chuck to shape the wheel, is not being able to get my wheels the exact same size off the lathe (even when i use calipers) so I usually cut out the wheel blank with a hole saw in the drill press. This also has its limitations as to the size you can cut out in this way but for the small wheels is okay and the diameter of the wheels are the same. Once I have the blank cut out I transfer it to the lathe to shape the inner part of the wheel and rounding of the shoulders.
    For a simple wheel I sometimes "score" the blank with a smaller hole saw to define the outline of the inner part of the wheel, not cutting all the way through the wheel of course. Then I cut out the wheel blank with the larger hole saw cutter. But sharp tools is the secret. Good luck with your new toy.
    Cheers John

John,

I just read through your wheel making thread. The tools i have are very sharp. I think the problem was the orientation of the grain. I just gave the boys their bath so I am going out to have another try.

Digger,

I have the following books on woodturning. Do you think they have the same info?

The Lathe Book
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lathe-Book-Complete-Machine-Accessories/dp/1561584169/ref=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320796201&sr=1-36"]Amazon.com: The Lathe Book: A Complete Guide to the Machine and Its Accessories (9781561584161): Ernie Conover: Books[/ame]
    The Art of Woodworking Wood Turning
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Turning-Woodworking-John-Jordan/dp/0809495163]Amazon.com: Wood Turning (Art of Woodworking) (9780809495160): John Jordan: Books[/ame]

Complete Illustrated guide to woodturning
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Turning/dp/1561586722]Amazon.com: Tauntons Complete Illustrated Guide To Turning (9781561586721): Richard Raffan: Books[/ame]

Modern Woodturning by Gordon Stokes
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Wood-Turning-Gordon-Stokes/dp/0847313069]Amazon.com: Modern Wood Turning (9780847313068): Gordon Stokes: Books[/ame]

Bret

Not read any of them as long as they explain how to present the tool to the wood and taking cuts then that should be fine. Not every turner uses the tools the same but it is good to have something just as a guide.
    I only mentioned that book as if you ask any one here that will be the book recomended.
    If there is someone near you who can show you the basics that would be good as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast