Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks Digger, Aussie, and Munruben for all your advice and support.

I had another go at and I feel better about my outcome. Not perfect but kinda got the feel for it. This definately has a skill set too it. It is like no other woodworking tool in technique or feel. The first round I was not holding the tool down firm enough on the rest. It is a little intmidating at first.

Digger I do have someone that can show me hands on. My dad is a machinist by trade and woodworker as a hobby. He has been a manual metal lathe operator for 41 years. He is coming over this weekend to spend sometime showing me some techniques.

Here some pics of a practice boiler for the train on a scrap of pine. Again not perfect.

Attachment 187211Attachment 187212
    Attachment 187213Attachment 187214

Bret

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Well done Bret, There will be no holding you back now.
    You'll have to work out a new dust collection device for the lathe.
    Cheers, Crowie

Looking good Bret. If thats your first attempt then you should be pleased with that. I shudder when I think of some of my early attempts on the lathe. I would have been over the moon with results like that straight off. No holding you now.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thank You guys.

Its funny you mention the dust collection. I got the same comments on my garage forum. I guess everyone thinks I can't handle dust in my shop. hehe. I will say the lathe now makes the biggest mess in the shop. Move over planer!

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Thank You guys.

Its funny you mention the dust collection. I got the same comments on my garage forum. I guess everyone thinks I can't handle dust in my shop. hehe. I will say the lathe now makes the biggest mess in the shop. Move over planer!

Bret
    No mate, I wasn't saying that; it's a health issue as much as keeping the area clean.
    I have an older friend who turns and he's struggled with shavings & dust collection for 20 plus years.
    I suspect that you should have a better range of options in the USA available than here.
    Besides I've only ever seen your workshop clean; you seem to have good work practices and pride in your work space.
    Apologies if I've said something wrong.
    Cheers, crowie

You will be OK Bret
    If your Dad works with metal .I use mainly metal turning tools to make my model stuff on the lathe,including boring bars and parting off tools etc.
    Still use mini wood turning tools for some shaping etc though.
    I think I saw a saddle on your lathe first up.I would use that when turning the Steam engine boiler as you would get it parrallel easily
    .Ask your dad.Sharp ,sharp ,sharp.That is the word for tools.
    I wouldnt use pine for anything except for practice or something cheap.I have plenty of it myself but I use it for Jigs and trying a new idea out. Oregon is just as bad.Go for close grained woods.
    You are lucky to have a Dad that is into the same thing as you.I had a good Dad but we had different interests alltogether.I went for electrical type things and he went Fishing and Football umpiring.LOL All the best with it
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

Crowie,

You didn't say anything wrong I was only joking. I wear a respirator or dust mask when using most tools and I have an air cleaner that I run on full blast. I plan on building a dedicated cabinet that is weighted in the bottom with sand for the lathe and I will incorporate a dust shoot and have a dedicated vacumn underneath in the cabinet as well. I will be getting my Xmas bonus check the 1st of Dec. plus a second one on the 15th so I will mostly likely be able to build the cabinet once all the Xmas gifts are bought for the family.

No apologies neccassary Crowie.

Aussie it does have a cross slide for metal working and I do have some tooling for it that is px95. I need to get a bench grinder so I can make some tools. The only problem with the cross vise is it only has about 6 inches of travel. But I will make it work.

Bret

G'Day Bret,
    When you get your bench grinder make sure you get a Silicon Carbide 'Green' Grinding Wheel.
    The abrasive is hard enough to sharpen but breaks away easily so you don't overheat you tool.
    Enjoy the shopping.
    Cheers, Crowie

The box full of sand stops any movement.
    I noticed in the photo how far away the chisel rest was I would have it really close to the work peice and I would up the speed on the pullies to max for that small bit of wood then slow it down to sand
    But thats just me.
    Phil

Primemover,

I had the tool rest about 1/8" away from the square blank to begin with. So as I remove material I need to stop and move the tool rest closer to the piece? I think I have the lathe on 2nd to slowest speed so I will change the pull and see how that works. Thanks for the feedback.

Bret

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123