Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: New grader

Default New grader

Just completed the grader from WOOD magazine. Used maple and walnut. Used mineral oil, what I use for toys for all my grandchildren.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Very nice. Lucky grandchildren. Can't buy that a store.

Mike John

Very Cool! I like your choice in contrasting woods. I see other projects in the background. Care to elaborate on them?

Bret

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day "srichard",
    Looks like you've got the whole "construction series" form the Wood Magazine.
    Did you buy the hardware kits from Meisel or do the lot yourself; either way the Grader, the Crane plus the Truck & Trailer all look great.
    Well done.
    Some very spoilt grandchildren, but we love it.
    Cheers, Crowie

Default Construction set

I have been a member of the Wood magazine for about 5 years. After 5 strokes, I had to quit my job as a mechanic in heavy equipment. To fill the time, I went into woodworking and like building the toys the grandchildren.
    Most of the wood I use is recycled pallets from a BMW motorcycle shop. It is pine.

I built the series out of peices of wood from the BMW and from my mother's house that was rebuilt. I got the wood for the grader when a freind moved out of city and he gave me the walnut. The maple was left over from a another project.

Most of the wheels are shop-made. I use a holesaw - smooth on the lathe and put on the thread. The axle is just 1/4" dowel and a cap glued on. The crane has 1/4" allthread cut to length and a nylon washer epoxied in the chassis.

The other peices are from #10-24 allthread and nylon nuts. The plans ask for 10-32 but was not available when I need it so used 10-24.

I made the 3" lazy Susan using ball bearings I had in the junk drawer.

Have fun giving smiles to others.

G'Day "srichard",
    Thank you for your reply.
    I understand the therapeutic value of woodwork, especially making toys to give away after an Acquired Brain Injury [Engineering Procurement background in manufacturing & machinery after starting in the Navy].
    Well done on recycling the timber, people tend to through out too much these days, I have heaps of offcuts from a builder friend & council cleanups.
    You'll enjoy the encouragement and inspiration of the blokes and ladies on the forum; some very talanted & knowledgable people all too willing to help.
    Keep up the good work; looking forward to seeing more of your craftsmanship on the forum.
    Cheers from "On top Down Under", Crowie

That's a great piece of work.

Very nice, looks great. Will certainly bring a smile to any child' face. I also uee a lot of pine in the making of my toys but kid don't seem to mind that in the least.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Well, I think the truck part is finished.
    I'm please with the look with the extra boggy plus the rear bumper bar.
    The should take lest time to complete, here's hoping no more mishaps.
    Cheers, crowie

*********************************************************************************
    I put the post in the wrong thread - sorry "srichard".....just managed to work out how to remove my truck photos....thank you your understanding and again apoligies.
    Last edited by crowie; 24th October 2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I put the post in the wrong thread - sorry

crowie, no apoligies needed. You do so great work that we need to make sure that it goes to the correct place.
    Have a good day!

Thumbs up

How about that!! I can see some very happy youngsters!

Anyone know whats wrong with wood magazines construction toy plans? I wish they would have more..good job on your toys

Default grader notes

Thanks for the words to all.
    I need to make a few notes on the series.
    1. The excavator's boom (D) needs the lower arm extended about 2 inches so the bucket will clear the trailer. As built to the plans, the bottom of the bucket is 1/2" to low so that the 'load' will not dump into the trailer. I extended the lower arm of the boom and the load clears great.
    2. I found it that the boom will not remain in the up while moving the excavator around the room. I made a "hook" to hold the boom. I am going to try to turn the part "H" around so the holes are away from part "J". It should allow the boom to raise the weight back over center so the boom will stay up.
    3. The chassis and body rotates too easy to 'drive' it around. I drilled a hole between the body (J,K, and N) and used a 1/4" dowel as a pivot lock. My grandson figured out how to use it without having to told anything how to use it. He loved it.

Any comments?

I didn't use bearings. I used a forstner bit Put a 5/16 bolt and nut with a washer between the pieces of wood. Tighten or loosen as like. Cut a square piece of wood and used two screws to hold cover down to hide bolt

Thank you "srichard44" for the notes.
    Thank you Fozzy for you question & resolve.
    I have the plans from the Wood Magazine plus purchased the Hardware Kit and am hoping to start the project soon.
    Cheers, Crowie