Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: Whisperings

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    Phil,
    where is the museum located and what is it called?
    Do you have a reference to the actual drawing? Museum catalogue number or some such thing?
    I know quite a few people in the UK and would be delighted to send someone on a visit to scan or photograph the drawing for you.
    Joe
    Hi Joe
    I will have a look. I think I still have the email but it is at work and by some miracle I have the next 5 days off.

Phil

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi joe
    I finally located the email and enquired as to the drawing numbers I need copied. It seems the drawings have been moved to M.E.R.L. (Museum of English Rural Life) at Reading University. At least they will copy and post out. If there is going to be any complications, would I still be able to call on you for assistance?

Phil

Yes of course, Phil!
    Give them a shot. Universities have different processes as you say.
    Joe

Much appreciated. Thanks

Phil

Hi all,
    One of the engines at work is long overdue for an overhaul. Apparrently, 30 odd years ago, this engine was started for grand opening type purposes (dignitaries happened to be available that day) but it was on the proviso that it ran for only a week and was immediately pulled down for completion of the rebuild. This engine quickly became iconic and consequently has run ever since.
    The crankshaft is supported by an outrigger bearing which has now got to the point where it is very uncomfortable to touch so I decided to give a closer inspection. The engine was shut down and first thing the next morning I pulled the bearing apart.
    The shaft is 4" diameter and the bearing is a three piece, two on either side meeting at the top and one underneath. The one underneath is now a 2 piece bearing much to noones amusement.
    I think it might be time for its long awaited overhaul.

Phil
    ps sorry for the quality of the pics.

Do you pour your own babbit, Phil? And I guess you now get to somehow make a new lower shell?

Greg
    It's all part of the service here at The House of Pain™

And what can you do about the journal?

Hi Phil,

Interesting repair job, love seeing these sort of repairs... you sure get to do all the fun stuff..

Looking at the wear pattern it seems to run at an angle to the shaft axis, did the bottom shell skew sideways after it broke? Or is that just the shaft rotation pushing the metal around sideways?

How are you going to fix the shaft?

Regards
    Ray

Dave J Guest

All the questions I was going to ask have been asked, so I will wait until you reply to those.

Any chance of a picture of the engine when you get around to it, I know some others have seen it in real life, but a lot of us haven't.

Look forward to your updates.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Q View Post
    Do you pour your own babbit, Phil? And I guess you now get to somehow make a new lower shell?

Greg
    Hi Greg,
    I do pour my own babbit that way I can, to coin a phrase, "keep the skill alive". Making the new lower shell wont be a problem as I will just fashion it out of a block of material to match the worn one and babbit the whole lot in one, machine the bearing and scrape it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    And what can you do about the journal?
    Hi Bryan,
    this one is tricky but not impossible. I will make a rig up that has three adjustable stones in it. This rig is then clamped to the shaft and the stones are rotated around the shaft until brand new again. This works well in this situation as a lot of steam engines have oval shafts due to their reciprocating action and this will make them perfectly round again. My new lathe I am getting should allow me to machine the shaft but that will involve removing the flywheel, which hasn't been off the shaft for 138 years now and only weighs 4 ton. Still, not impossible to do if I have to. I have a picture of the rig somewhere and if by some miracle I find it I will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi Phil,

Interesting repair job, love seeing these sort of repairs... you sure get to do all the fun stuff..

Looking at the wear pattern it seems to run at an angle to the shaft axis, did the bottom shell skew sideways after it broke? Or is that just the shaft rotation pushing the metal around sideways?

How are you going to fix the shaft?

Regards
    Ray
    HI Ray
    The problem lies in that the engine was installed on green timbers which over the years have shrunk. At the moment the engine has been packed up 3/8" (10mm)
    but is nowhere in line enough to avoid this kind of wear.

Phil

wow Phil you sure get interesting work
    BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by welder View Post
    wow Phil you sure get interesting work
    Hi Welder
    there very rarely is a dull moment. The only thing annoying me is that I had to put that bearing back together after some very careful shim adjustments and run the engine. I am not allowed to stop this engine for any length of time unless directed by upper management no matter how much evidence there is to shut it down. This engine is fairly iconic as it drives the beam pump.
    I am keeping a close eye on the bearing all the while knowing that each day it is run is at least 2 days of wear and tear and possibly repair. This engine has been scheduled for a major overhaul later this year. With a bit of luck they might move it closer now although I wont hold my breath.

Phil

Phil,

Without knowing the work you have in front if you and the requirements of the job etc, if you are after a source of tin for the babbit, then I recently obtained a 3 kg ingot of 99.99 tin from Consolidated Metals in Thomastown, they were the only people I could find in Melboure who actually sold it by useful size ingots, and not by the ton(ne) !!....just a suggestion if needed............and nice work there.....thanks for posting...........Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwhisperer View Post
    Hi Welder
    there very rarely is a dull moment. The only thing annoying me is that I had to put that bearing back together after some very careful shim adjustments and run the engine. I am not allowed to stop this engine for any length of time unless directed by upper management no matter how much evidence there is to shut it down. This engine is fairly iconic as it drives the beam pump.
    I am keeping a close eye on the bearing all the while knowing that each day it is run is at least 2 days of wear and tear and possibly repair. This engine has been scheduled for a major overhaul later this year. With a bit of luck they might move it closer now although I wont hold my breath.

Phil
    Hopefully it will hold up we had a similar job last week although the shaft was only 1.5" all the babit was gone and he housing had to be built up with braze. but we sleeved it with bronze not re pour the babit.
    BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

Andre

How did I ever miss seeing this thread

Amazing photos Phil and others

I haven't read every post but will be going back over it all.