Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default My new Husky 3120xp

hey ,just some pics boys ,got a new stock Non-EPA Aussie spec 3120xp today . coil limit 12000rpm Black coil ( not a chocked up EPA version ) just gotta bury the bar and run her in ... cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Happy carving.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Whoooo - Hooo!!!

The 3120 is an excellent saw. I had two (one on each end of a 60" bar for slabbing) and they didn't cough once in over four years.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

let me know when you cook it. it wont be long

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

I ran my 3120 for a couple of 100's of hours in the Weipa area up on Cape York, doesnt get much hotter. I never had a problem with mine, except a bit hard to start on the real scorching days.

I did see 2 other guys melt the piston on their saws, both had the muffler come loose and they didnt do anything about it, so I put the failures down to that.
    I always checked the tension on the muffler nuts when I cleaned my saw at the end of the day, I never had a problem.
    I also ran my saw at 25:1 with good quality synthetic 2 stroke oil and premium unleaded, that may have helped as well. I pulled my saws engine down after about 100 hours of use, with the intension of replacing the rings. The piston, rings and bore were spotless, the old rings had the same gap as the new ones in the bore, so the old ones went back in, I still have the new rings in the shed somewhere.

My advise is, look after your saw, and it will look after you.

Quote Originally Posted by weisyboy View Post
    let me know when you cook it. it wont be long
    hey bud ,just because you cooked yours that don't mean I will ..Ive seen plenty of stihls get cooked and pistons explode ...its just the way we look after them, and being a stihl fan yourself ,you probably wanted it to cook so ya could bag it out ...haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    I ran my 3120 for a couple of 100's of hours in the Weipa area up on Cape York, doesnt get much hotter. I never had a problem with mine, except a bit hard to start on the real scorching days.

I did see 2 other guys melt the piston on their saws, both had the muffler come loose and they didnt do anything about it, so I put the failures down to that.
    I always checked the tension on the muffler nuts when I cleaned my saw at the end of the day, I never had a problem.
    I also ran my saw at 25:1 with good quality synthetic 2 stroke oil and premium unleaded, that may have helped as well. I pulled my saws engine down after about 100 hours of use, with the intension of replacing the rings. The piston, rings and bore were spotless, the old rings had the same gap as the new ones in the bore, so the old ones went back in, I still have the new rings in the shed somewhere.

My advise is, look after your saw, and it will look after you.
    I always run 25:1 too mate ...like they say all saws will only run as good as there operator. any saw will die if not well maintained or cared for. cheers

a few pics, just running her in 20:1 mix ...ran half a tank threw her ,just pure GRUNT!!!!!! runs like a Hemi charger

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    . . .,just pure GRUNT!!!!!! runs like a Hemi charger
    I like the sound they make, sorta turbine like.

20:1 eh, seeing as you can't retune the high end - did you change the jet? You do realize unless you change the jet you are running it LEAN when you run it 20:1? If it was me I would run it in exactly using the manufacturers specs, then if there are any probs there will be no argument with the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I like the sound they make, sorta turbine like.

20:1 eh, seeing as you can't retune the high end - did you change the jet? You do realize unless you change the jet you are running it LEAN when you run it 20:1? If it was me I would run it in exactly using the manufacturers specs, then if there are any probs there will be no argument with the manufacturer.
    hey bob ..just one tank of 20:1 under load & idoling the Mix threw, for running in purposes (that's actually the ratio the dealer put in and recommended for run in). She's not running lean at all ,she's four stroking!! when talking around 1 to 2% more oil per liter its really not an issue (non EPA saws have a wide window for ratio's, being there based on the Jungle version) ...but I'll be using 25:1 after this tank ...and that is what the dealer recommends after run in and everyone else around here are using in there Big bore saws, Ive always used that ratio without any trouble too. I know you'll disagree with it ,LOL and so will the yanks ...but yeah ...If she's not four stroking ill just ream the jet a little ...gonna open up the baffle after i run it in anyways, and Ill see if i need to ream the jet then ...but I Know the song a saw sings, so there's no worries bud. I never run a saw on the lean side ... The dealer even stated that when opening up the muffler on the 3120 ,the saw is still rich enough to four stroke without changing up a jet size ...I'm guessing the Aussie 3120 has a bigger jet than the EPA saws from the states. Aussie stock 3120's are basically a jungle version, without the opened up muffler ...cheers

hey bob ..just one tank of 20:1 under load & idoling the Mix threw, for running in purposes (that's actually the ratio the dealer put in and recommended for run in).
    OK - then it is his problem

She's not running lean at all ,she's four stroking!!
    that's fine.

when talking around 1 to 2% more oil per liter its really not an issue (non EPA saws have a wide window for ratio's, being there based on the Jungle version)
    Gotta love anything "Jungle"

The dealer even stated that when opening up the muffler on the 3120 ,the saw is still rich enough to four stroke without changing up a jet size ...I'm guessing the Aussie 3120 has a bigger jet than the EPA saws from the states.
    Yeah I think it has a 1.2 versus a 1.0 mm jet.

You might want to read this arboristsite thread about the joys and pains of tuning a modded 3120.

You might want to read this arboristsite thread about the joys and pains of tuning a modded 3120.[/QUOTE] thanks bob ,there's a ton of interesting convo's on AS that's foreshore (..I'll be doing a muffler mod to help dissipate internal heat and let her breath, and a possible reaming of the jet (probably by some spare jets to play with ) but she's gonna be a working saw and the 3120 has tons of pull just as it is (in Aussie stock form anyway)....seems the AS boys are all about turning RPM ( turning saws into grenades ...tho its very interesting seeing what Mods they come up with.

. . . . but she's gonna be a working saw and the 3120 has tons of pull just as it is (in Aussie stock form anyway)....seems the AS boys are all about turning RPM ( turning saws into grenades ...tho its very interesting seeing what Mods they come up with.
    I agree they love their RPM but work saws gotta last the distance so modding the crap out of them is not really the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I agree they love their RPM but work saws gotta last the distance so modding the crap out of them is not really the way to go.
    exactly mate ,its all fun and play them highly modded saws ,but in reality they wouldn't last the distance in working conditions, there really just a money drain (hobby)... I find the stock saws are just fine ..the 3120 and 880 in Aussie stock are brutal powerhouses ,bucket loads of grunt and bullet proof if cared for properly.