Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

And knowing myself, with a Texas sized garage I would have a couple of bikes, welding equipment, thicknesser, band saw, drill press, micro brewery, and what not, and no more building space than I have today…

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That's my ideal setup as well and not far off from what I have. Wouldn't mind a slightly smaller house, though and a bigger barn. Unfortunately, the bats, mice, squirrels, the occassional skunk, possum, and the dang house sparrows also like the barn. Hard to heat too. We had a friend in Maine with a small house and an assortment of outbuildings. His motto was, "you can never have too many outbuildings!" And if you're building a new spread, I've been told by those older and wiser that you should ALWAYS build the barn/garage first. Then get all the tools in there before someone gets any ideas about parking the car out of the snow.

I am slowly moving towards the 3D moment. Foils are ready for glass and epoxy, centreboard box is ready to be glued together and summertime with long light evenings is here adding to available time as well as a strong drive to get onto water in a sailing boat.

Centreboard box is almost ready, have to coat the insides with epoxy before I glue the two halves together. I tested the un-glassed board in it and there seems to be enough space there for two layers of glass as well. I have also made progress on the mast, the ladder is glued up and ready for the two last sides. Next step is quite a bit if sanding and then pre-coating parts before assembly. That's where most of my concerns is at the moment. Doing it wet in wet seems much more efficient, but requires me to be able to spend a whole day in the garage rather than the two-three ours after the kids gone to bed I usually are able to grab me...

The woodwork looks very tidy Pontus!

Looking forward to seeing more of your step by step progress.

MIK

Thanks Mik! There's a reason I don't show any close ups, but I think I'm doing a good enough job to end up with a boat I will enjoy owning. I certainly enjoy building it.

The mast is now assembled, planed and sanded to shape, and coated with its first layer of epoxy. Next step if planing and glueing the chinelogs, and after that it's pre-coating time (if I can keep myself from assembling the hull..).

Default It's never been this close..

.. to 3D. After 3 years of intermittent building I now have a completed flat pack, including mast, rudder and foils. A bit of sanding and some epoxy pre-coating and it's time to assemble the boat. My last part to glue was the chine logs. To get the logs the prescribed 10mm outside of the ply sides, I made a simple guide out of scrap plywood. Worked really well! I also used the zip-lock bag trick for getting the glue on the right places for the first time (but used pastry bags instead if zip-lock). I'll definitely use that method for the rest of my glueing.

IMG_1553.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1561.jpg

Four Easy Steps!

The hex key comment on Facebook did make me chuckle. Gøte Eyländ Skif?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Default Found it!

The boat is now 3D (without glue).
    It took some time, but it went together without any major problems. It sure looks pretty to me.
    IMG_1573.jpgIMG_1569.jpgIMG_1575.jpg

I still think you should add the glue.

But yes, it does look good.
    You know you're making progress when there's sawdust in your coffee.

I'm very happy that I didn't have any glue on yesterday evening. What a mess that would have created! Glue will be added in a couple of days. I also didn't pre-coat the parts with epoxy. While I understand the merits of doing so, I just needed to see it in 3D now and will take the extra effort later on.

Pontus

Gluing went well. Much easier than anticipated. Routing out the limber holes in the bulkheads on the other hand.. The day after I did it I understood that I should have routed from one of the sides, not from the top. Anyway, now it's done and today the bottom was glued on. The boat seems straight and true, so that feels good.

Goatislandskiffingothenburg.blogspot.com

Good. There have been oodles of these things built, so how hard can it be?
    You know you're making progress when there's sawdust in your coffee.

"Four easy steps!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast