Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Does any one know make and model of this 20" planer/thicknesser?

Hi everyone, I'm a newby and am reconditioning this thicknesser and can't find any makers ID. Can you help?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default More info?

So I see quite a few have looked but no sugestions. Do I need to post more info or photos? A coup;e of things are it has only 2 blades in the cutting head. The 3 phaze motor is not orriginal and niether is the mounting bracket. Maybe it was shaft driven? The original paint I'm finding is a mid blue. I realy would like to find its manufacturer and hopefull Maintenance manual. Would really appreciate help with this. thanks to those that have looked.

It looks like a beast. I have a link on my laptop which has photographs of many old machines which may help you narrow it down. I found this useful when trying to track down the age of my own jointer.

I will post this now so I can find the post again tomorrow and provide the link then.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Ok here it is ......
    VintageMachinery.org Photo Index - by Machine Type

Just select jointer from the pull down list. Unfortunately they are not the best photos but I think you can contact the individual. It may be easier for you to look for the distinctive foot - whilst you may not find your jointer 100% you may be able to get an idea of the manufacturer and then search further from then.

I don't think you will have much luck with a manual however! Make sure you post photos of the restoration.

Cheers

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Default Thank you Sir Stinkolot

I Shall tally forth and peruse the scrolls of antiquity. Stay sharp and shiny oh great and Noble warrior.

Default no joy

I have as it transpired signed up to this site before to look and found no sign of my machine. I have looked again to no avail. I live in hope.

To find answers in life we must ask questions; alas the more answers, the more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Creeper View Post
    I have as it transpired signed up to this site before to look and found no sign of my machine. I have looked again to no avail. I live in hope.

To find answers in life we must ask questions; alas the more answers, the more questions.
    Tim you will not find your machine over there . It English that for sure and its an Over Under planer thinknesser. Looks like a Robinson or Pickels of England. I just pick a Wadkin RM that is very similar.

I can't see your your pic to good .but looks like the planer table have be removed. you cuter block should look like this

jack
    English machines

Hi Tim, Apologies about delayed posting/Response, I am new to the site and I would be glad to to help try and identify your machine, and also with much encouragement from Peter (lightwood) and Jack (Jgforsberg) Thanks Guys.
    I think Jack is definitely on to something suggesting your your under/over planer is English, or even UK for that matter.
    I would even go so far as to say Scottish in origin.
    I have thrown some Pic's up for you to choose from, some of the catalog cuts are much later in date than your machine, but possibly not to be ruled out as that manufactures earlier model of machine may have been different in style and shape.
    My only other suggestion would be the firm of W.B.Haigh of Oldham England,
    Some of their machinery was just badged and no makers name in the casting.
    I am afraid I do not have any of their Catalogs to show a Pic.

A.Ransome & Co 1909 (England)

Loudon Brothers 1912 (Scotland)

Dempster Moore & Co 1905 (Scotland)

T.Robinson & Son 1920 (England)

Pickles/Ransome & Co 1944 (England)

J.Sagar & Co 1902 (England)

Melbourne Matty.

Thanks guys, I,ve not checked for replys for a while (sorry about that). I appreciate the picks and have had a good look. There seems to be some similarities on all of them. But on closer inspect. I think too many differences. Mine is obviously older. And probably shaft driven (no electrics) the motor mount and tensioner are obviously retrofitted.I'm amazed at the "looks" I've had to my query and hope that one day I may know the brand etc. and dream of dreams, a manual for it. Thanks again fellas

Tim its was always going to be an up hill battle to identify your under over machine, the biggest stumbling block is no name plate or letters in the casting, and the age, the older the more difficult unfortunately, at a guess I would have to say 1900's but its hard to be sure.
    Tim in your Pic's I am noticing a few pieces of the machine missing, namely the top, front and rear tables to run the surface planer, and the handle for the Rise and fall mechanism for the thicknesser.
    Can we assume you have these?, just not placed on the machine perhaps ?
    If your plans are to restore this machine I think the end result will be a great and very practical working machine, solid cast and substantial cutter head, feed rollers and being two machine's in one they are a very useful item for the small workshop where space may be an issue.
    The other bit of research you may wish to undertake is the web site of The Museum of English Rural Life, they may have something in their Manufactures List of catalogs.
    BEWARE !! For some reason the site is a serious time warp, I have lost 5 hours looking at all the old catalogs of English Woodworking Machinery Manufactures before, its very easy to get lost, there are folders within folders within catalogs...

http://vios1.rdg.ac.uk/olib/images/n...de_literature/

MERL: New Technologies

Also be patient, I tried to get on in the last few days with no joy, they may be doing alterations to the site, I am not sure.
    In the meantime I'll keep looking...

Melbourne Matty.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I have a bit of time to spare. I'm afraid the photo's were taken after I started to disassemble it. I do have most of the parts including the planer fence. The blade guard is missing aswell as the belt and chain guards.

I'm sure if you joined one of the English wood forums and posted these pics there you would get someone IDing that machine.
    I'd take some better ones though. One from each side and end then a few isometric perspective shots.
    Good Luck !
    Nice solid looking machine.

Stewie

Thanks Stewie. I might have a go as it seems I'm coming up blank here.