Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Default Me and my impulse buys...

Picked up and old camper trailer the other day. No photos, and an hours drive to the other side of town to get it. My main concern on the way over was not being stuck on the side of the road with a blown tyre or a spun bearing, so I grabbed as many spare bearings and associated parts as I could think of and set off for work. After work I headed off into the traffic.

I don't really know what I was expecting, not having seen it, and the only real information that the bloke gave me on the phone was that the timber top was stuffed. When I got there it didn't look too bad from the outside. It's a pretty basic camper. Basically a square steel box with two plywood lid covers that fold out as two beds either side. Two cupboard sections run internally the full length either side over the guards, and a little "kitchen" folds up at the front, which basically consists of a bench, with a tiny little sink and a two burner stove. Then two hoops fold up either end of the centre section and you attach a spreader bar between them. Then the "tent" section drapes over the top of the entire lot and you stretch the elastic sides out over the two beds, hook bungi cord round the front and around the rear with press-studs and twist locks. The two plywood beds/covers have seen better days, and won't be a difficult job to replace, but concern is the canvas. I pulled it all out last night, and I found some rot in some places on the main tent part. The annex section is fine and I had high hopes the the rest might be OK too, but... no such luck.

I guess my next step is to investigate the cost of repair or replacement of the tent section, and whether it's cost effective for the value of the camper.

I'll put some pictures up in the next couple of days.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi put the welder away and start sewing wood work Too .
    yes I know we buy trailers and say why.
    I picked up a 6x4 last week onedays work no way.
    Tony

It will be interesting to see. Maybe I will have to again revise my, "and I thought I'd seen it all", statement.
    www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au

I will never be the person who has everything, not when someone keeps inventing so much cool new stuff to buy.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".