Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shedblog is correct. A CDC is a quick process as it is assumed that you meet certain criteria and it is a 'simple' project. Which a shed is.

I got sent a picture of this 2nd hand shed. It's an interesting red color and all taken apart and laying on the ground with about 12 inches of grass growing all around it.

Albeit this guy might take $1500 for it I think I am going to pass and get one from Ranbuild.

The up side of spending time investigating it is that our plan drawer as found a better spot for the shed in the yard, the wide thinks a 6x6mtr shed is a great idea and has been quoted as saying "who cares about the cost, just get it!"

Not something I will be saying to her anytime soon!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

So I got some engineered drawings of an Absco shed. The BMT of the roofing and wall sheets are 0.35 all round.
    Rafters and columns are 80mm boxed.
    Girts, frame members and purlins looks to be an hour glass shape that one would have to screw together at 600 centres.
    Door mullions are C-channel 80x80mm 1.6 BMT with the centre one being 80x180 box made by screwing a plate onto the front of the C-channel 1.6 BMT.

Comparing this to Ranbuild that use top hat as rafters and girts and C-channel for everything else as well as the braces for the portal frames.

Ranbuild also appear (no technical drawings for them) to make their portal frames from large C-section rather than the 40mm hour glass box section Absco use.

Ranbuild use 0.42 BMT for the roof and 0.35 BMT for the walls.

Also just realised I will need a DA for the shed because it's above 3 mtrs No 10 day CDC for me. Unless I drop the wall height.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedblog Au View Post
    Hi folks,

A CDC means a project meets a set criteria and so, does not require a DA (development application).

A DA is simply approval to proceed, with a DA in place you still require the CC (constructuion certificate) which is where inspections and engineering come into play.

CDC or Complying Development Certificates still requires engineering and inspections by council or a private certifier.

It is Exempt Development that does not require the engineering to be certified or inspections to take place and usually applies to things like small structures and remote farm sheds and the like.

I have written more about this topic here Sheds, Councils and Private Certifiers | Steel Sheds in Australia
    hi shedblog, is meeting the basic requirements of the BCA (Building Code of Australia) the key criteria here?
    satisfy BCA and council is happy with going down the simplified approval route?
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Toowoomba and Online at www.shedblog.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    hi shedblog, is meeting the basic requirements of the BCA (Building Code of Australia) the key criteria here?
    satisfy BCA and council is happy with going down the simplified approval route?
    From my experience there are two parts to a CDC, 1st and what seems to be the key criteria is, does the shed meet the requirements to qualify for a CDC. That being numerically based like this....

If size fits criteria : wall height and sqm based on land size and zone where shed is going and distances from boundaries are met based on land size and zoning then a CDC can apply. (all about the numbers, not subjective like if the certifier thinks so or not)
    Its all about those numbers for the approval to do it.

If you are referring to checks and balances that the certifier then applies when doing the inspections then they likely (or should) be referring to the supplied engineering, checking that against all the factors as in the location of the shed, eg regional wind speeds, shielding, terrain, importance level, what the shed will be used for etc.

As far as meeting BCA standards, that should be the absolute minimum a certifier considers when assessing a shed as a structure.

When purchasing a shed you should ask the seller to consider all factors for your requirments like the sheds location, use, terrain, shielding and importance level before they quote you and this should be detailed on your quote.
    Last edited by Shedblog Au; 14th January 2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Steel Sheds in Australia Helpful information for people looking to buy, build, extend or renovate a steel shed. www.shedblog.com.au

Shedblog, you have have a link to the codes SEPP that has the check list as to whether or not a structure can be applied for using a CDC? I saw it somewhere, but stuffed if I can find it again!
    Our council's website is a maze of link backs and PDF's of useless info.

Quote Originally Posted by Onezero View Post
    Shedblog, you have have a link to the codes SEPP that has the check list as to whether or not a structure can be applied for using a CDC? I saw it somewhere, but stuffed if I can find it again!
    Our council's website is a maze of link backs and PDF's of useless info.
    try this link

NSW Legislation
    Steel Sheds in Australia Helpful information for people looking to buy, build, extend or renovate a steel shed. www.shedblog.com.au

Yep, been there. No specific mention of the actual rules. EG if your structure of 900 from boundary, less than 3m, made from this, put here etc. then it's CDC eligible. Only details exempt.

It's very very frustrating! Why can't they make information simple to get. If they were a company no one would shop with them because they are too difficult to get info from.

#### it, I will just put in a plain old DA

top part deals with exempt development,
    scroll down to section 3 which is for complying

Clear as mud that legislation!

Over here in wa I have done the same thing. I bought a second hand shed which is currently sitting in the back yard wanting to be up in action. I have to get engineers drawings, an engineer to come out and expect the grades of steel, check where it's going and suggest slab options. All this is costing me circa $1000. Pretty heavy considering the shed cost me the same. Then I have to do a site drawing and submit it to the council and wait for a yay or nay. Absolute insanity. All I want to do is make furniture. Geez.

I don't normally go into bat for city councils but I really don't want to go back to the days of allowing anyone to erect anything they like in their back yard. The neighborhood ends up looking like a tip attracting vermin and becoming a fire trap, and at the first stiff sea breeze one ends up with the neighbor's shed roof in ones back yard. Engineers don't work for nothing and are paid top $ by the mining industry so we are either benefactors or victims of this.

I do agree that the rules and regs should be made clearer and more accessible and make sense.

These types of questions that in the end require approval by the appropriate regulatory body always intrigue me. Why isn’t the regulatory body contacted to get the correct information right from the start? Am I missing something?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12