Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi Dan,
    I live in your area, so I know the waters well.
    I built a Wesford Navigator a little over a year ago, and Love It.
    If I had my time again, I'd probably go with something a little bigger, possibly a Selway-Fisher, Highlander 18.
    Its a bigger boat than my Navigator, but its not much heavier, and I don't think its any more complicated to build.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Re: Family Trailer Sailer <18ft

Hey Dan

I know this may cause some controversy but I'd recommend you take a look at the Green Island 15 over the Goat Island Skiff.

Both boats are great designs and the GIS is an easier build but the GI15 is designed to be a little more 'solid' and forgiving on the water.

It has a swinging centerboard which you mentioned.

Admittedly it doesn't have a cabin but it the GIS is to your liking then the GI15 is more of a good thing in my books.

There are plenty of pics on this forum and a great debate somewhere in the archives between the two boats. If you check it out be sure to read what Mike Roberts says about his design.

Cheers

Andrew

Default Green Island 15

I've been trying to hunt down Mike Roberts, but his Headland Boats website is no longer on the net. Is he still selling plans? Anyone have a contact email address for him?

Dennis

To clear the confusion about RYD 14.11, she's a bit more then the stated SOR for Dan's needs. She's designed as a fully capable ocean going pocket cruiser. As a result, she's a fair bit more complex then the average boat of her size and configuration. She's an older design of mine and has seen considerable development, so she has several options, in build type, rig, draft, and adornments.

Discrete - RYD-14.11 - Sailboats, cruising - Boat Plans and Kits Directory

This is the cuddy cabin, deep draft, schooner version, but if you click on the "View more images" button you'll find some other versions, such as a the standard length cabin, the spoon bow and two shallower draft arrangements, plus the gaff sloop rig.

I have a different design currently on the table. I've just finished up the construction drawings, but am still working on the details. It's a closer fit to Dan's SOR and a much easier build (taped seam). It too is designed to handle quite a load and rough weather, but she's still a semi protected waters craft, capable of near shore cruising, Her principle dimensions are 18' (5.48 m) LOD, 16' 9" (5.1 m) LWL, 6' 9" (2.05 m) beam, 1,002 (2204 kilo) displacement, 112 degrees vanishing point of stability (she'll pop back up from a capsize). She's not intended to plane, but will surf down steep seas or if gust are stiff enough. The design is intended to be forgiving and accommodating. The centerboard is slightly off center, which places it under cabinetry within the cabin. This means there's no centerboard case cutting the interior in half. The rig is a Bermudian ketch, with sprit booms, but a gaff sloop has also been drawn up. She has a built in motor well, the cabin side are simple and easy to make and the cockpit is self bailing.

In this general size range and SOR, there are literally countless offerings from nearly every designer (it's the most popular size). You should be able to find something you like. I'd like to add Sam Delvin's "Nancy's China" to the list of considerations for this project. It's available as a sprit, gaff or Bermudian sloop, though slightly smaller then some of the others, still quite capable.

G'day Again

Sorry I've been away for a bit (I'll be shooting off again soon for another couple of months at sea). Thanks for the info on the Rocky PAR, she looks like a gorgeous little boat that would fit nicely in my garage. As towards making a decision, we'll I am truly spoiled for choice, and absolutely no closer to an answer.

To add further confusion and delay to the decision making process I've just received the Buehler book and John Gardners book on small craft. Both of which have provided a great deal on insight (and unfortunately inspiration ).

Additionally

Dennis, the Wayback Machine mentioned by A.J. in a previous post could be of some help in finding Mike Roberts, I remember finding the Green Island Skiff using it.

Cheers Dan

Default Another designer

A fascinating thread.

Cost seems to be an analog for weight, so may I respectfully suggest that you look at Tom Dunderdale's site Campion Boats.

His Apple and Pearl designs might interest you, they appear to be light but capable.

Good luck.

Default Chestnut Teal... here is one example that was built!

My personal favourite designs are Murray Isles' Grey Teal (18) & Chestnut Teal (16).
    I don't think many have been built, but they are a pair of incredibly well
    thought-out small cruisers.

JUST TO LET anyone know... I built this Chestnut Teal about 14 years ago and I still sail it every summer with SO much enjoyment! I am sure it isn't the best sailor, but it is pretty decent and SO pretty. It took me four years to build... haha... I did the cedar strip version with a gaf rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool !!
    Lutherfan - any chance you can start a new thread with a heap of pics
    & etc about the build & experiences using your Chestnut Teal?
    There is a total dearth of info about them on the web, & they look too
    clever a layout to be allowed to disappear, if you get my drift.
    regards
    Alan

Default It might take me a bit...

But I really should do that. I HAVE some pictures somewhere, but I have to find them and scan them in.

Quote Originally Posted by b.o.a.t. View Post
    Cool !!
    Lutherfan - any chance you can start a new thread with a heap of pics
    & etc about the build & experiences using your Chestnut Teal?
    There is a total dearth of info about them on the web, & they look too
    clever a layout to be allowed to disappear, if you get my drift.
    regards
    Alan

Yes & Yes !!

The TS 5.4 is 5.4 meters long (the bow pole can be removable). The boat was actually designed to be an updated answer to the TS16, one of which I built as a teenager. It has a ballasted centerboard also, which makes it more stable. You might also consider the multi chine ply version, the TS540, which is easier and cheaper to build. I still sail one of these myself.

Default Re: Family Trailer Sailer <18ft

G'day all again,

It's been a while since I last posted and I'm finally in my new house. While being generally a good thing, has given me a reality check on the length of boat I can actually fit in the garage. Realistically it's gotta be 16ft or less (and 16ft is stretching the love without a swing tongue trailer). So while designs like the TC540, chestnut teal and rocky are great, I'm going ahead with the GIS. I've even managed to convince the wife that it's a good idea.

Cheers Dan

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Default PICTURES posted

Yes & Yes !!
    Check out the general forum as I posted a new thread entitled "CHESTNUT TEAL designed by Murray Isles"

If you can cope with the aesthetics, Bolger's Micro would tick most, if not all
    your boxes, including build simplicity.

The Welsford boats offer some challenges to the novice boat builder, but
    those who has 'em seems to love 'em. And they do look sweet. I wuz gunna
    build Houdini until a too-good-to-pass-up TS16 caught my eye. And wallet.

B&B's Core Sound 15 & Headland Boats Green Island 15 are a pair of capable
    open boats. The Core Sound would probably be the more spacious, but the GI
    possibly drier.

My personal favourite designs are Murray Isles' Grey Teal (18) & Chestnut Teal (16).
    I don't think many have been built, but they are a pair of incredibly well
    thought-out small cruisers. go to Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine, enter
    'Islesdesign.com' in the WayBackMachine search engine. Pick a later date eg.
    Dec 2007 & browse the cattledog.

After all that, I bought a doer-upper TS16 to do pretty much the type of
    things you plan to do. I want to modify the rig to a balanced lug cat-ketch to
    cure a couple of dislikes about the sloop rig. And raise the cabin roof so I can
    sit inside it comfortably. Those are personal taste things - the as-designed
    boat is fine for most. The hull is tremendously stable, although a bit slow
    by modern standards, and splashy in a chop.

& that's just scratching the surface of what's available. Spoilt for choice.

cheers
    AJ
    the Hartley ts16 also has a big following and a strong sailing association.What Charlie Horvath doesn't know about the ts16 has not been written.

Default Sailing to Rotto

Dan,
    Thanks for the PM response.

Very glad to hear you will stick to off-the-beach sailing around Cockburn Sound, a Goat Island Skiff looks fairly appropriate for that.

Sailing an openboat across what can become extremely rough open seas to Rottnest Island is not for the inexperienced nor in an open dinghy type. Anything less than a "pocket ocean racing type craft" like the Waller 5.4 pictured above with self draining cockpit is one mighty hazard in this area.

Cheers from Martin Bunny,
    Mandurah, W.A.
    [email protected]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123