Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Using old 2 stroke oil?

Tomorrow I am going to cut some slabs, so I need to mix up some fuel. I haven't got any fresh 2 stroke oil and I can't get any in town because the only place that sells it is shut for new years. The only oil I have would be getting close to ten years old but has been in a sealed container the whole time. It is the proper Stihl oil. Would it be alright to use or would I be better off finding some fresh stuff?

This fuel will be used for a bit of crosscutting through my 066 and probably a bit through my mates 084 doing some slabbing.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The fact you have asked the question is your answer. You are worried it may harm your machine.
    Regards
    John

10 years old makes it 2002 oil, if so I would use it.

I would hate to ruin a mates machine! Although I have no clue if the oil would be ok... It might be?. ..

It's always the tools I lend out to people that are found to be damaged when I go to use them the next time.... Actually that's a tough one because I'm setting up a huge HUGE workshop at the moment and it will be soon shared with two other mates that need a kick start.

Give it a go in your saw first. I know the older diesel we had could be good for up to 10 to 15 years if stored properly. The new diesel is rated for about 1 year and the new unleaded is good for about 4 weeks... I know my 391 hates any fuel older that 2 weeks.
    Has you mate got any oil? If you anywhere near Bellingen I can give you a fresh bottle.

If its just the oil you're talking about, I would have no hesitation using it in any of my machines with fresh petrol, I'm still using a 5lt container of Stihl 50:1 oil that I bought a good tens years ago and it mixes and runs as good as it did when I bought it, but if it's already mixed with petrol, chuck it!!!

Thanks for the advice, I think i'll give it a go but if anything seems wrong i'll stop the saw straight away. It wasn't mixed with petrol, it was just the oil and I don't think that oil goes off? Google indicates that it doesn't.

I just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any surprises with it.

The old oil seemed to work fine too. It ran well, as it should. Thanks again for the advice.

[QUOTE=Ben Dono;1423894]
    Give it a go in your saw first. I know the older diesel we had could be good for up to 10 to 15 years if stored properly. The new diesel is rated for about 1 year and the new unleaded is good for about 4 weeks... I know my 391 hates any fuel older that 2 weeks.
    QUOTE]

It's getting away from the subject a little so firstly on the issue of oil I would agree that providing the oil has not been mixed with fuel and is not contaminated in any other way, I would expect it to be good for 10years or even more.

Diesel on the other hand is a slightly different animal. The recipe is varied between summer and winter fuel. One of the recipes contains a wax (my layman's term) and this is unsuitable to be stored for any length of time as it will precipitate out and clog your fuel filters. If you are storing diesel you need to make sure it is the one without wax. Bear in mind that all fuels deteriorate with time and machines that are susceptible to octane ratings may become really fickle with stale fuel. Petrol and some chainsaws are in this category.

I remember BobL talking about the decline in two stroke fuel in another thread recently. Perhaps he can post a link there.

The problem with the diesel is I can't remember which one is which. I will consult my ex-oil refinery colleague on Wednesday, which I when I see him next, as he explained this to me.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    I remember BobL talking about the decline in two stroke fuel in another thread recently. Perhaps he can post a link there.
    There this one.

or

This one.

Plus a few others but those will do.

Thanks for posting those threads Bob.

I got some clarification on the diesel fuel storage issue. Bear in mind I am repeating the words of my knowledgeable colleague.

The winter fuel is the one to store if you must. This is because the cloud point is reduced and the cloud point (which I erroneously refered to as wax) is the point where the diesel crystals begin to solidify.

The summer recipe does not have to endure cold tempertures and can be produced more cheaply.

However, long term storage of diesel should be avoided because both types support baterial growth, whch will also clog your filters.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"