Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Product review ... ethics

May I suggest to the forum owner that anyone who posts a product review, anywhere on the forum, declares any interest in it?

That may be payment for the review or keeping the product provided at no cost by the manufacturer, importer or retailer.

This is standard in several fields (eg. medical research, food or travel journalism) and makes clear to the reader whether there may be any conflict of interest on the part of the reviewer.
    Cheers, Ern

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ern, the place for a product 'review' by a manufacturer or retailer is in the Announcements Forum. Usually we just move them but after a few we take heavier action. Best idea is to report the post so we can deal with it.

Other members performing 'reviews' will be assessed on a case-by-case basis i.e. someone who is a known friend or associate doing a review or giving glowing references. Depending on the circumstances that could come back on both parties.

In the event a member derives some benefit from the review (free gift etc) they should mention it as a simple courtesy to their readers to make up their own mind as to whether the review may be biased or not.

I'm pretty much with Ern on this one. I've always seen this forum as the last bastion of integrity as far as honesty goes. I look at some of the woodworking blogs around and often question their integrity. A honest product review should review comparable products in the same category, not just one. After that, the reviewers peers should then be able to ask questions.
    -Scott

Gents, we are drafting some guidelines. I should point out there has been very little, if any, question on this issue up to now. If there have been suspicions they have not been advised to the admin team (that I am aware of).

As to the type of review and inclusion of comparisons, that is likely beyond the capability of most members, particularly on expensive items, unless a desktop comparison is performed on specs only. That brings another set of issues as specs are often widely different eg Chinese HP versus German HP.

Finally, a rule that applies across all of the forums will be hard to enforce. We have bother getting people to read the rules now, let alone follow them. It may be possible to make the rule but will people actually think of reading the rule if doing a write-up of a pen kit, CNC machine, boat plans etc? I think it will work for the 'Reviews' forum but will be more difficult to manage in ALL the forums.

By 'review' I mean a description of an item, a judgement of it and maybe a recommendation. A comparative evaluation is an order of magnitude greater.

Declarations are fairly common in some parts of the forum without being mandated (usually stating 'no connection' etc); not in others. So it's more of a practice we're looking to encourage and mods and regular posters could model it throughout the forum. A sticky in this section would help here.
    Cheers, Ern

I agree, and have added a disclaimer to my SmartHinge review.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Default The Ethics.

Hi All,
    I would like to buy into this matter.
    I like to speak my mind, & if I find something, that may help others as it has most likely helped me.
    NO WAY am I connected to the Product or the People selling same.
    Yes, I know Neil & Pauline, Jim & Irene very well.
    It is just they both have great Products & if I find something exceptional, I will most likely say so.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    By 'review' I mean a description of an item, a judgement of it and maybe a recommendation. A comparative evaluation is an order of magnitude greater.

Declarations are fairly common in some parts of the forum without being mandated (usually stating 'no connection' etc); not in others. So it's more of a practice we're looking to encourage and mods and regular posters could model it throughout the forum. A sticky in this section would help here.
    I agree with Ern. Glad you're looking at it Groggy.
    cheers,
    Jim

A sticky post has now been placed in the Reviews Forum.

thanks Groggy.
    cheers,
    Jim

Thanks.
    Cheers, Ern