Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Triton Router

Hi Les

What were they asking for it? Not $39?!!

Regards fro Perth

Derek

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Makin Sawdust
    A quick comment to Derek, I was walking through local Mitre10 today fantasising about the tools when I saw the GMC fixed base router on display! According to their woodworking tools guy uit was new stock (a couple there) and a current model, Maybe they have been relaunched or were they ever discontinued? Perhaps Eagle could enlighten us all! Cheers all, Les.
    Les

I wa chasing one of those a litle while back. (A Porta Cable would be even better, but the price!) The Bunnings guys informed me it had been a promotional line and no longer made/available. Let us know if it is indeed available again. My Hitachi M12V died recently after about 10 years of use and abuse and has been replace with a Triton for bench mounted use and a 1550W GMC for handheld use. A FB GMC for a second table mount would be useful still.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Derek, Don't remember price, considerably more than $39.95 though. It was 1/2" & (from memory) about 1400 watt. I will check tomorrow & let you know. Cheers, Les.

I love my Triton router... seriously!! hand held of in the table either way shes a flamin beauty!... As chook says the only prob Ive encountered is that blasted dust shroud thing just doesnt handle the amount output by the bigger bits... but take it of? WHAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO! dust everywhere exciting stuff!!

Compared to the Makita and B&D ones I had already this is HEAVEN and there is no comparison... so I rarely take those other two out of the cupboard nowadays and must buy another Triton so I can have one for handheld and the other permanently in the table... which table I do have some serious issues with... so Im gonna build a newy for the new triton Im gonna buy... if I can ever get back to work to make some money to buy said tools after Ive convinced her highness to let me spend some!!

Good reveiw Chook... greenie on its way!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Derek & others, Have checked Mitre10 store, Router is model R1450, 1450 watts, $173.10, Makes the $39.00 look pretty good. Cheers, Les.

Quote Originally Posted by damienhazo
    Don't want to hijack the thread but are you saying you can change the bit above the bench with a 3612 C? Do you know if this would be possible with a 3612 BR? Is there that much difference in the plunge tollerances? Mmmmm.... I'm going to have to go and have a look at this....

Thanks Harry!
    Dunno bout the BR, the 3612's collet comes up about 1mm above the table top if you use 3mm steel(removed slip base plastic). With a hole in the table the same size as the routers base you can make zero inserts that are 6mm thick(mdf works a treat) which sit on the "wings" of the cast base hole.
    I'll take a pic of it 2morro.

Have checked Mitre10 store, Router is model R1450, 1450 watts, $173.10, Makes the $39.00 look pretty good.
    At this price, the new smaller Triton is probably better value (although $25 dearer). Nevertheless, this GMC is still the cheapest way to have a router dedicated for the router table that will provide above-table bit changing (search out the article I wrote on this).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Les/Derek

GMC's FB R1450 router still not listed in their online catalogue. Looks like they are ahead of themselves.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Been playing with the new Triton 1400W - it is a beautiful bit of kit. It feels quality, and as much as I love the 2400W, it was designed for table mounting, whereas the baby you can tell is designed for handheld work. For the stuff I was doing, I didn't notice the power difference either.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by stuart_lees
    Been playing with the new Triton 1400W - it is a beautiful bit of kit. It feels quality, and as much as I love the 2400W, it was designed for table mounting, whereas the baby you can tell is designed for handheld work. For the stuff I was doing, I didn't notice the power difference either.
    Ahhh - the joys of being a Triton demmy.
    Regards
    Les

I do it for the toys!
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Triton is probably better value (although $25 dearer).
    Derek, where are you getting the small Triton for $198. Bunnys over here are selling them at $288.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Makin Sawdust
    A quick comment to Derek, I was walking through local Mitre10 today fantasising about the tools when I saw the GMC fixed base router on display! According to their woodworking tools guy uit was new stock (a couple there) and a current model, Maybe they have been relaunched or were they ever discontinued? Perhaps Eagle could enlighten us all! Cheers all, Les.
    sorry guys, this model is well and truly deleted.

If the store still has one thay should discount it as we deleted it 15 months ago.

Eagle
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    sorry guys, this model is well and truly deleted.

If the store still has one thay should discount it as we deleted it 15 months ago.

The great thing about being able to get feedback direct from the horse's mouth! Thanks Eagle.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Well it seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.<O</O
    My history of Mondays purchase of a Triton 2400W router follows closely Chook’s post in January 2005, but pleasantly, despite the passing of time and inflation the price is lower. I first rang Carbatec. Their price was $430. They had stock. Then I tried the Just Tools Melbourne internet site, Price $365 (post not included), but they had 4 in stock. I rang Bunnings at Stafford Brisbane and their price was $380 and they had 2 in stock. I went to Bunnings with a printed copy of the Just Tools Price in hand and they lived up to their name and reduced it 10% below the Just Tools price. Good on them! So I got a Triton 2400w router for $328.50 The $100 saved has been spent on new router bits through McJings internet site and they arrived 2 days after order. Great service! <O</ONow to create some shavings<O></O>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast