Thread: Triton Router

Enjoy - still the best table-mounted router out there
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Enjoy - still the best table-mounted router out there
    If you havent got a router lift that is...

Stuart,

The 2400 Triton router is my second. I also have the 1400W Triton which will be reserved for hand routing and save me the task of removing it from the router table.

I have just built the router table. It is modified from a design, I first saw at a Richard Vaughan router workshop. The table has been a long time gestating but is now functional.

I am very much an apprentice woodworker. In fact SHMBO reckons my hobby is collecting quality woodwork tools, woodwork magazines, internet wood working sites and woodwork books. Compared to the lack of product to date so far, she's right. I unfortunately believe, that if you have the right tools, learn the correct techniques and and can get the advice of more experienced craftsmen, then reasonable product should emerge for the workshop. I did not expect that learning to use the tools would mean the product of the workshop was more likely to be a pile of sawdust and scrap wood rather than high grade furniture. Still got to stuff up to learn.

I have also discovered STUSSHED in the past week and am learning from you. Congratulations. The wonderful world of the internet enables experienced woodworkers to tranfer their experiences to many who otherwise would never have come into contact with them. A couple of your videos have already saved me from some stuffups. Well done and keep up the good work.

Back to the routing!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    If you havent got a router lift that is...
    True, but other than I'd not say "no" to one, it costs more than the router itself, and you still need a Triton for through-table bit changing, or having to resort to a router bit extender.

Richard Vaughan however swore by his, (with a Triton router), so that has swayed my opinion a bit!

Elle (?) , glad to be of assistance!
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Nothing wrong with the extensions, set them up properly dont buy a cheaper one.
    The one in my RT its actually to tall, with bits with long shanks I cant lower the router enough! But thats because my RT has a 3mm steel top(nicknamed the BBQ )One day I might actually get to use my nice lift... one day

I have my reservations with them being a permanent addition to the router, and the extra loading they place on the bearings. For the occasional job, sometimes there just is no better way, but I wouldn't want to subject my router to one on an ongoing basis.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Default Router Lift

Stuart,

You know of course that you can ger the conversion for the big triton to use from above the table for 100 bucks from Professional wood work supplies.

Cheers
    Brian
    Creator of Fine Firewood

Good point Stu, mine has about 3yrs of production based work using the extreme extension its still fine... 3612c's are a work horse tough as old boots, your not going to stress them easily.

I guess the evidence is in the using - 3 years of production work would test the router if it was going to be a problem. Perhaps not for a lesser router, but it's good to know the Triton passes.

Thanks Brian, I have come across the PWS router raizer, but if I was going down that path, I'd go with their full-blown solution

"Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

I've had one of those for a few years now... its still in the box but not for long

I have on my wish list 2 Triton 2400w routers for just the reasons supplied in this thread. I plan on mounting both of them in tables (making my own, which is a project that is nearing the top of the list), and if I need a hand held one (don't use one often) I'll get another when finances allow.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Guess I better not upset you with how many orange beasts I have then
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Just a quickie for those with TR001 beasts: When I try to use the fine adjuster to raise the chuck, it quickly runs out of threads or something. Is that normal? I suppose that one can always take it up one notch and then use the fine adjust to wind it down (no problems at all in that direction!), but I seem also to have lost the ability to get the collet up through the table....odd....and it's only days old. Have I done something to the gizzards of the fine adjuster?

Cheers

Mike
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." Yogi Berra

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

My website: www.xylophile.com.au

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

Quote Originally Posted by cellist View Post
    Just a quickie for those with TR001 beasts: When I try to use the fine adjuster to raise the chuck, it quickly runs out of threads or something. Is that normal? I suppose that one can always take it up one notch and then use the fine adjust to wind it down (no problems at all in that direction!), but I seem also to have lost the ability to get the collet up through the table....odd....and it's only days old. Have I done something to the gizzards of the fine adjuster?

Cheers

Mike
    have you removed the plunge spring as per the user manual ??
    you need to do that before using in a table
    the worm gear nay have been damaged
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemcbeast View Post
    Well it seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.<o></o>
    My history of Mondays purchase of a Triton 2400W router follows closely Chook’s post in January 2005, but pleasantly, despite the passing of time and inflation the price is lower. I first rang Carbatec. Their price was $430. They had stock. Then I tried the Just Tools Melbourne internet site, Price $365 (post not included), but they had 4 in stock. I rang Bunnings at Stafford Brisbane and their price was $380 and they had 2 in stock. I went to Bunnings with a printed copy of the Just Tools Price in hand and they lived up to their name and reduced it 10% below the Just Tools price. Good on them! So I got a Triton 2400w router for $328.50 The $100 saved has been spent on new router bits through McJings internet site and they arrived 2 days after order. Great service! <o></o>Now to create some shavings<o>></o>>
    Hm, I had almost the opposite experience with Bunnings.. I went there one evening with a printout and they said they don't accept printouts and I will have to return during business hours so they can confirm the price.

I thought "f**k Bunnings" and ended up buying it from Just Tools in south melbourne for $365, AND having to carry it 3+ blocks to the tram and then home on the train! But after my Bunnings experience, I'll be damned if I'm giving them one more cent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast