Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to use an Easson DRO

Hi Guys,

My new lathe has an Easson ES-8 DRO fitted to it and I was wondering if people more experienced with DROs could explain how to use some of its more advanced functions to me.

All I have been using so far are the basic functions, like zeroing and entering workpiece dimensions...This has been incredibly useful and has allowed me to machine some nice accurate parts however I assume it can do more than that.

I understand this DRO is used on a mill also so a lot of the functions may not be used on a lathe, but I was fiddling last night and it looks like it has a taper turning function in it...is this used by offsetting the tailstock? If so, how is it done?

Also, what are all the sin, cos, tan buttons on there for...is that for when its used on a mill or does this have relevance on the lathe?

Any other tips or features that owners of this or similar DROs can give me would be much appreciated.

Brendan

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Brendan

Here is a link to a manual for a similar DRO - a Sino 2-axis. It may be of some use?

I dont have one of these DROs but I'm thinking of buying one on eBay.

Regards

Simon
    The first step towards knowledge is to know that we are ignorant.

G'Day Brendan,
    I also have an Easson ES8 and love it, like yourself I only use it for basic turning functions
    (and for that alone it's worth every cent I paid for it) Mine appears to be a general purpose model with some discrepancies between the manual and the control panel, the "cone" function button used for taper turning is not there, nor is the "dia/rad" button (although I can switch between diameter and radius in the setup menu). As far as I can tell, the sine cos etc buttons are used when using the unit as a calculator. One of these days I must hit the net and see if I can find a more specific manual.
    Regards,
    Martin

Dave J Guest

Hi Brendan,
    The main function I use is to set the tool to the diameter. To do this machine a piece of your job at any size, measure with verniers or mic's then input this into the DRO. This will change if you move the tool post or change the tool, so I do it pretty often.
    If the easson is like my ones, in diameter mode you will have to input the dimension, then half it with the half button.

I find the tool off set pretty useless because I move my tool post all the time to suit the job. One of mine has 100 and the other 200, but I only use it if I have a heap of something to make that are all the same and wont be moving the tool post.
    The way it works is you set up each tool X amount off set for each tool from centre. Then when you change tools you press the tool number and the DRO will account for that off set. It is also useless for anyone without a QC tool post.You will need to number your tool holders as well and re set them up if you sharpen or change a tool.

The taper function is mainly used to set the compound at an angle for machining tapers. It could also be used for the tail stock, but you would have to start with something that was spot on true between centers or it will give a false reading.

For the compound, you first need to check and make sure the side of the compound is true to the compound ways. To do this place a mag base on the cross slide, place the indicator onto the side of the compound and move the compound through it's full range, if there is no movement on the indicator, the side of the compound is true to the compound ways.

To set up the compound to cut a taper, first angle the compound to roughly what you think it should be.

You then mount a mag base on the chuck, tail stock or lathe ways with the dial indicator touching the side of the compound toward one of the ends.

Zero the indicator by using the cross slide dial, then set the DRO into taper function. You then move the carriage along any amount so the dial indicator moves toward the other end of the compound, and then re zero it with the cross slide dial. Look up at the DRO and it will give you the angle.

It is a bit of a guessing game with moving the compound, checking with a dial indicator, moving the compound checking with a dial indicator, moving the compound, and on and on, LOL
    Once you get used to it, the time comes down. There are plenty of on line sources for the taper angles of Morse tapers, and there is a great trig calculator as well.
    The taper function is great and very accurate compared to other methods.

Is there any other things your stuck on?

I have some links to my Meister XPOS3 manual and my Sino manual if you want them. Reading other manuals and yours usually explains it better as they are all about the same other than what buttons to push.

Dave

Thanks for that link blu rock, i'll check it out later. My manual wasnt that helpful.

Cheers for that explanation Dave, that is a very cool feature....I will be sure to have a play with that later on. It would be great to be able to cut morse tapers accurately.

Brendan