Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Jarrah Burl

Default Jarrah Burl

I really could do with some help.
    Last year I picked up a jarrah burl about 900 round and 45 thick I was told that it had been air drying for about three years so I figured that it could be smoothed and finished. Bearing in mind that this was to be a coffee table for mothers day thought I would have no problem. Since then I have tried two pack pollyurethane in ranging thicknesses It just wont go off. Then I tried Casting resin with varying amounts of Catalsyt and varying thicknesses this Also will not go off. Can anyone offer an explaination, as the ministry for war is starting to get a little antzy.

Quokka

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Chuck it away (my direction) & buy her a glass one.

Sorry, I don't have a serious answer.... maybe this would be better put in the 'Finishing' forum.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

i8ntersting issue mate.
    Last year i turned awell dried Jarrah burl but had some trouble with the finsih,,kind of just grooging up on me, for wnat of abetter term..

i had uses EEE and shellawax....polyuthrethane, estapol gloss....just didnt work out well...

U cna test the moisture iwtha meter but it may just be the texture of the burl..

sanding sealer might help....

taking it right back and just using an iol finish..i use organiol, and follw the instructions prooperly, coat to saturation, wait 30 minutes, wet sand to 1200 and then buff...

would probabl;y be yr best best, just make sure that oil soaks in....