Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Shed 1 - Part 2

Default Shed 1 - Part 2

After 3 days slogging away, I finally got the extension to my shed to lock up.

After 3 years of digging away at the rocky hill, I laid the slab a couple of weeks ago and got the shed delivered just before Australia day.

Now I have a home for the cars and more important, the woodworking machinery. Eventually I'll clad the outer in Western Red like the front, but for now I think i'll focus on getting the back half finished and operational.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Still won't be enough room . All your hard work is now paying off.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

I agree, my friend keeps telling me i should just stick a whopping big roof over the entire acre and be done with it. I tend to agree, but the missus would not be happy. i could just get rid of her

None the less i'm glad i have this shed and it will make life so much better when I'm doing jobs. I'm sick of pulling stuff of the tools, rolling them out into a clear area, doing the work, then reverse the previous effort. There has to be something said about having the tools laid out in a sequential order to do jobs when you need to. Thats my next big challenge, getting the tablesaw, planer, jointer, etc located correctly to make working simple. Cant complain about that problem!

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by seafurymike View Post
    . . . I'm sick of pulling stuff of the tools, rolling them out into a clear area, doing the work, then reverse the previous effort. There has to be something said about having the tools laid out in a sequential order to do jobs when you need to. Thats my next big challenge, getting the tablesaw, planer, jointer, etc located correctly to make working simple. Cant complain about that problem!
    I agree, that's why I went fixed location rather than roll out.

Did you managed to embed anything (power, DE ducting) into the floor?

No,

I am running all the wiring through the walls. This will all be covered up as I just bought 20 sheets of 12mm MDF. I'll screw these to the wall and pull out the power.

For the suction, etc, i'll just have to run it overhead. I'm ok with doing it this way as you never know how it will go if you pipe it from below. Chains from the roof with power outlets to some tools may be a good approach too. All stuff to figure out.

Do you have any suggestions on what tools should go next to each other? Or atleast be close to each other. I figure my jounter should be close to the wood stack. Next the tablesaw, and close by and just past the saw the thicknesser. I have 2 drill presses, so I'll keep one close by too.

Quote Originally Posted by seafurymike View Post
    No,

I am running all the wiring through the walls. This will all be covered up as I just bought 20 sheets of 12mm MDF. I'll screw these to the wall and pull out the power.

For the suction, etc, i'll just have to run it overhead. I'm ok with doing it this way as you never know how it will go if you pipe it from below. Chains from the roof with power outlets to some tools may be a good approach too. All stuff to figure out.
    I can really recommend the latter

Do you have any suggestions on what tools should go next to each other? Or atleast be close to each other. I figure my jounter should be close to the wood stack. Next the tablesaw, and close by and just past the saw the thicknesser. I have 2 drill presses, so I'll keep one close by too.
    It depends very much on what sort of work you do and how you work and what machines you have. I have my compressor and DE outside my shed so that creates a bit of extra space inside. The main thing that determines my layout is that I do nearly as much metal work as woodwork and I use some machines for both. When it's complete my shed will have a metal work end (metal lathe, metal cutting bandsaw, grinders and welder) and a woodwork end (lathe, jointer, bandsaw, table saw) with dual used machines like drill press and linisher in the middle. Well, that's the plan, actual final positions might still be a bit of a lottery

Depends on the machines you have as to where you locate them.. I have my Table Saw, Bandsaw, thicknesser and Drill press relatively close to each other
    My spindle sander is also close at hand. My lathe is in sort of no mans land stuck in the middle of the floor at the moment alongside my router table until I think of a better location for it.
    My work benches are slap bang in the middle of the floor area 4.8m X 2.4m with storage under the bench.
    I have shelves pretty much on all blank walls.I have a couple of other work tables that I use to assemble things on. I am not really happy with the layout of my machines but I love to have heaps of bench space and this doesn't allow me the room I need for the machines really.
    You never have enough room no matter how big the shed.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Good start on the shed. I will be watching this one.

Default Re: Shed 1 - Part 2

As will I. Any photos of inside?

I made great progress on the interior, so i'll take some photos tomorrow and post them.

I managed to move a majority of my woodwork tooling across, which has made a huge hole in the current shed and with the new 5 meter table in place, it seems to be coming along.

Next is to pull out the electrical and have the sparky terminate it all for me.

Remembered this morning to take a couple of quick pictures of the fit out.

Its far from finished, but shows the new tables installed and gives some sort of idea how i may layout the flow. Still got to pull out the power points before the sparky comes next week to fit and certify the install

On the left you can also see the hole i punched in the old back wall to the original shed. I think the table on the right will be fitted out to be the drop saw table, with a raised platform which meets the drop saws base. I'll then fit the two grinders to the portable table that has the drop saw on it in the picture.

/M

I like that every thing looks to be on wheels

Russell
    vapourforge.com

All I could do in my basement shop was to make an island bench.
    My 10" Delta miter saw is bolted to one edge. That allows me to bring in 16' 2x4 and support one end down the hall on a jack stand (and use the deep freeze lid at the other end.)
    My little 8"(?) drill press is bolted to the opposite edge.
    Both the scroll saw and the 8" Ryobi band saw are bolted to pieces of 3/4" plywood so I can slide them on/off either of the open edges and clamp them down.
    No screamin' Hello, but I can get a lot done without too much tool fuss.

I thought Canada was wide open country!

I know what your problem is, you need to keep digging out your basement, merge it with the neighbours and make a super big work shop. I like the American motto of bigger is better.

Having said that I know i am one really lucky fella to have such a large work space.
    This is 3 years in the making as it took me that long to remove all the rock and dirt from the back of the original shed.

Great looking space! That's really coming together.
    Pete

The Second Wind Workshop
    http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/