Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Tying Bench

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    If you want plans for a bigger one ... here

no connection etc - just found it on my virtual travels
    nice, might have to get those plans................lol, now I have to do a search on how best to finish the timber, was going to just use a polyurethane coating but I thought I might try to oil it, not sure how it would go for fly tying though

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That looks good. I have the most mediocre of wood working skills. I'm pleased that you went through with this. A bench solves all sorts of frustrations with trying to get on with the fishing. I'd have higher walls and 60 pegs at 45 degrees for all the spools of floss/tinsel/etc. Mostly I just take out what I need for a couple of patterns. Then two more. Then two more, . . . . You won't be sorry with a white background (try without it).
    1. Has to be as smooth as glass so the thread doesn't catch. . . . anywhere.
    2. Any thoughts on a thread-tension device such as I have? A third hand is a blessing.
    3. When you dope the heads of the flies, where will you hang them to dry? My "clothes-lines" are out of the way.
    4. Any particular mounting point for a small, high intensity light for those rainy day, fly-tying marathons?
    5. Do you have a Works Supervisor (the cat)?

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    That looks good. I have the most mediocre of wood working skills. I'm pleased that you went through with this. A bench solves all sorts of frustrations with trying to get on with the fishing. I'd have higher walls and 60 pegs at 45 degrees for all the spools of floss/tinsel/etc. Mostly I just take out what I need for a couple of patterns. Then two more. Then two more, . . . . You won't be sorry with a white background (try without it).
    1. Has to be as smooth as glass so the thread doesn't catch. . . . anywhere.
    2. Any thoughts on a thread-tension device such as I have? A third hand is a blessing.
    3. When you dope the heads of the flies, where will you hang them to dry? My "clothes-lines" are out of the way.
    4. Any particular mounting point for a small, high intensity light for those rainy day, fly-tying marathons?
    5. Do you have a Works Supervisor (the cat)?

Thread tension device - I use a stonfo bobbin with an adjustible drag system and a bobbin rest attached to the vise shaft.

I find the Loon water base head cement dries pretty fast and for other cements I have a UV light that sets them.

Light - the man cave is very well lit..............lol

Works Supervisor - the answer is Yes, her name is Meg and the dog is not allowed to sit on the table.................lol

If the tide ever goes out for you poor people, you're good to go!.

There are no lakes here, just a lot of rivers, still iced over. So it's river fishing or nothing.

Spring melt is trying very hard to start here on the valley floor.
    125% snow pack up top but we won't see that until some time in June. Pretty crazy when the mountain rivers rise 3-5m. Long-run out slab avalanches expected at present. They can be 2m thick or more and get right through the trees. There's a very weak layer in the snow with a lot of weight hanging on top of it. I've seen lots of house-sized bits peel off across the valley but they don't go too far.

Completed bench inside ready for action, just waiting on the rest of those supplies to arrive and a tying we go.

Attachment 201296

That will be comfortable. It's considerably bigger than I imagined from the unfinished WIP.
    The front right-hand corner is missing the gymbal for a can.

So what happens next? The temperature takes a nose dive to +25C and you can call it winter?

That will be comfortable. It's considerably bigger than I imagined from the unfinished WIP.
    The front right-hand corner is missing the gymbal for a can.

So what happens next? The temperature takes a nose dive to +25C and you can call it winter?
    lol................I wish it was winter, temp only getting to 27 / 28c but its the humidity that's a killer.............its why we have aircon............

Excellent work.

Well after everything I made a few changed to the work station. Also mucked around with a stand on which to hold hanks of flash material. Here are updated pics of the bench and the stand. Both made from silver ash.

Attachment 205644

Attachment 205645

Oh, my! And I was using a feather duster from a Chinese corner store for hackle!
    Are you fishing freshwater, salt or both?

Oh, my! And I was using a feather duster from a Chinese corner store for hackle!
    Are you fishing freshwater, salt or both?
    Salt only.............chasing my two fav species that just happen to be good table fish as well.

When you mentioned ". . flash material. . " I thought salt. Mostly just windy wild mountain rivers for me in the past 40. However, that does put 95% of the fish in 5% of the water. Go wet a line. Barramundi and Mangrove Jacks by chance?

When you mentioned ". . flash material. . " I thought salt. Mostly just windy wild mountain rivers for me in the past 40. However, that does put 95% of the fish in 5% of the water. Go wet a line. Barramundi and Mangrove Jacks by chance?
    Actually no, not those two. The fish I chase are real bread and butter species, Flathead and Yellowfin Bream.

I stand the chance of the odd Jack around structure............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12