Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default light drill presses

I'm thinking I need a drill press, since I currently have one of those attachments that you whack your electric hand drill into. However, I don't find it particularly good as the drill seems to wobble around in it.

Are the light drill presses at timbecon worth considering?. All I want one for is drilling wood, probably the heaviest work it would do would be on some Jarrah.

Is it better to get a floor standing or bench?. I'm leaning towards the following

http://www.timbecon.com.au/products....parentid=12477

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=397 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=left width=120>Sherwood

</TD><TD align=right width=120>ZQJ-3116-A

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD vAlign=center colSpan=3>

Radial Arm Drill Press - Floor - SPECIAL $279

This seems a really good price. Anyone have experience with it?
    How much benefit is a Radial Arm?

Hope Gumby doesnt see this as I'm sure he is sick of answering my questions!

RB
    </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD align=right colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Redback, a good drill press is a very valuable item to have in your workshop. A lot of people don't realise this untill they actually get one and find out how useful it is, particularly with a set of drum sanders.
    Now I cant speak from experience but there have been a number of posts regarding the radial arm type that I can recall that seemed disapointed with them. A search should give you the details.

I dont have one but I've hada good look at the simlar carbatc $299 model and there was a bit'o'slop in the radial arm. I'd go for the non-radial one. Better of not introducing a source of error for something you'll use very rarely.
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

Gidday Redback,

I got a floor model from TT $300 and haven't looked back since. Is presently the pride n joy of me workshop................Lots a versatility and a lot handier than what you'd think. Initially I was a bit dirty on myself for not getting an adjustable radial arm model but so far I havent had the need to use such a Setup! Now all you need to consider is:

1. Knocking up your own custom extension table
    2. Getting a W.A.S.P. and good quality pneumatic drum sander
    3. An XY axis Vice to ensure ultimate accuracy

and or yeah a few other bits n pieces you'll get the drift of as you go along....................Careful there addictive Oh yeah and for me the bigger the more ugler the better helps keep em stable and looks awesome

Go BIG for the most coin ya can afford.......you wont regret it!!!!!!!!!!

Regards LOu
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

Got to agree with what Lou says. He did a realy good search and asked all the questions of this forum that he could think of. If, as I believe, he ended up with the same model as I did from Total Tools, $299 floor sranding 16 speed, then you have two happy owners. Try a search by clicking on newlou's name and looking at all the threads he has started until you find the one about drill press.
    Last edited by Termite; 4th February 2005 at 02:54 PM. Reason: wrong again

Just to make it easy just look at thread

"thinking of buying a drill press"

have fun hope it helps redback

REgards Lou
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

yep.

Depending on space and what you want to do. I had a small Ryobi bench model for years and intended to get rid of it once I got the big sucker, but it's still handy as well.

So if you only have light duty a $100 bench one might work as well.

cheers,

P

My old man used to say the first machine to get in your workshop was a drill press!! :eek:

I've got two of em now and they get used more than any other drilling machine I own. The electric drill only gets used for masonary and the occasional job that I can't get on the drill press. More accurate, more control, more versatile - timber and metal, I even find I'm inclined to use M&T joints more with the inclusion of the morticing attachments.

It's the H&F bench top model I've got with its own home built stand. Great accessories such as V blocks and vices all add to the useability.

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill