Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Putting a Sink In the shed

hi everyone, I have a breeze block shed in the back garden and I would like to put a sink in. I dont need it to have hot water as it will only be used for hand washing. I have never put up a sink before and need some help. I have a hose pipe tape and the front of the back garden and I was wondering if I could attach a hose pipe to the sink and run water from it? I was looking to get something like this:

ACE KITCHEN WALL HAND WASH SINK BASIN with TAPS & WASTE COMPLETE best on ebay | eBay

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You also need somewhere for the water to go.
    But yes you can attach a garden hose to a tap on the sink to give you a temporary water supply.
    I have a plumbed sink in my shed and it is great. Especially for sharpening. If I ever have to build another shed I will be including a water supply and sewer connection.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

If all you plan to do is wash your hands, why not run it into a barrel for the garden, shrubs and flower beds?

Friend of mine lives in semi desert conditions. Waste water from the washing sink in his (very big) greenhouse goes into a series of barrels. He waters plants with it and recovers the sediment = soil as well.

I seem to recall a plastic basin/sink with tap arrangement that connects to a garden hose and is used for gardening clean up. Wasn't so long ago either! May have been in Bunnings? - Brain not engaged as yet - As I move into a more concious state I will try to be more precise.

Boringgeoff is offline Try not to be late, but never be early.

Hi Soopz,
    Possibly not an issue in the UK, but if you have a garden hose turned on, laying in the sun with the tap turned off in your shed, the water heats up and can stretch the hose to bursting point.
    Currently the hose freezing is probably more of an issue where you are.
    Regards,
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    If I ever have to build another shed I will be including a water supply and sewer connection.
    Isn't that called a "house"

I wouldn't buy a new sink for the shed & I would go for a decent sized one.

Go down to you local 'recycle centre' or 2nd hand place & find an old stainless steel wash/laundry tub.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I agree with Cliff, you can pick up a stainless steel laundry sink for next to nothing at the recycle tip. Easy enough to connect up to the water supply but drainage is something to be considered too. If it is purely for washing you hands and no contamination of the water then you could just direct the drained water to a spot on the lawn or garden.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

I have a laundry tub that we picked up (with permission) out of a skip down the road when the people redid their laundry. At the moment we have it sitting in the back yard under a tree. I can hook a hose over the lip of it, and the drain is connected to an old garden hose that simply drains the waste water ont the grass a few meters away. At present I use it mostly for washing out pet water and food bowls. When I finally get a proper shed, there is a tap and drain just outside where it will go, so the plan is to put the old tub inside and get somebody to plumb it into the connctions that are just there.
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

I would not use a hose for a connection, if it leaks inside your shed it will make a mess and rust everything in there. Standard PVC water pipe and junctions are cheap enough.

My setup starts at a garden tap 30 m from my shed. The tap was replaced with a T-junction and 2 garden taps. I use one tap to connect one of those short (450 mm) flexible SS webbing covered hoses to standard 20 mm PVC pipe. The PVC pip runs underground to the shed and is correctly plumbed into the sink.

The sink was a freeby from my sister's place which was being demolished for a new place.
    For waste I initially ran the water direct into the garden but because I want to be able to wash paint brushes etc in the sink I ended up plumbing into the sewage. What I want to do is set up a diversion that can direct the water to sewage or into the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    I have a plumbed sink in my shed and it is great. Especially for sharpening. If I ever have to build another shed I will be including a water supply and sewer connection.
    Don't forget the bar and tv area
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

That can't be in your shed Bob, it is too damn neat.
    Regards
    Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by BRADFORD View Post
    That can't be in your shed Bob, it is too damn neat.
    That was when it was installed - a few months ago it looks like this.

Now it's MUCH worse again.