Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Jin di sugi!

Default Jin di sugi!

Does anybody have ANY information about this finish process? I can't find it on the net anywhere. I found it in a Fine Woodworking magazine, and it was really brief. Some help anybody? Much appreciated,

Antonio Saleh.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

from what I can google, you need to remove some of the softer grain leaving the harder stuff behind.
    Now, at the risk of really confusing you, the softer grain is early wood and the harder late wood -- a growing pattern observed in northern hemisphere species, but not necessarily repeated in Australian timbers which tend to more uniform hardness throughout the year. (I hope I've got the early - late wood sequence the right way round)

techniques discussed for removing the softer grain include:
    sand blasting
    a propane torch
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Hey Ian, thanks for the input, much appreciated. It's not quite what the answer I'm after though. Can you please read my other post on Jin Di Sugi? It's a more detailed question and it would be greaaaaaat if you could PLEASE answer those questions and reply ASAP. Much appreciation,

Antonio Saleh

Here is the post I'm talking about:

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f9/jin...xactly-148443/

There was a heap of pine furniture around in the seventies I think called 'Spanish Style' that was done with that technique. The burning just chars more of the soft material between the growth rings than the harder material. So then when he brushes it the harder material is left raised so if you ran your hand over it you would feel the grain as a series of bumps. The finish that is applied looks like some sort of oil. Personally I would leave the first coat to soak in for a while. Other finishes would also work like varnish or shellac, even paint would show off the texture.
    Maybe one of our illustrious members will be able to step out onto the verandah and take a photo of a 'Spanish style' lounge and post it here.

Oh that would be the best! I thank you very much, you're too nice! There should be more helpful people like you guys in this world! I would also leave the first coat because it gives it a more brownie feeling if you know what I mean. It's a beautiful process!