Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default SB-12 Woodman Cabinet Saw

I bought this saw early this year. It comes in different incarnations and is also known as the 12M10A manufactured in Taiwan by the Mao Shan Manufacturing Industrial Co who export this saw to Europe and United States as well as here.

The saw can vary in price from $1300 - $1700 in Australia. I bought mine for $1500 local

Specs:

BladeSize 300mm or 250mm
    TableSize 1000mm x 685mm
    MaxCut 100mm
    MaxCut45deg 73mm
    SpindleSize 16mm
    MaxCutInFront 228mm
    MainMotor 2hp 1 phase
    Large safety stop button
    Cast iron wings
    Saw blade tilts to left
    Precise rip fence system
    Riving Knife Guard with dust extraction
    Maximum Rip to right of blade 750mm (can be increased to 810mm by setting the rail a little further right during install)
    Can take a Dado blade up to 19mm

What attracted me to this saw was the price with features above.

I tested the arbor runout and was around 1.5 thou definitely less than 2 thou which is good. The mitre slots either side of blade are true and straight and consistent width.

The fence is very good (based on Beismeyer type) and was straight.

The cabinet sturdy with solid trunion but only one belt drive and no blade lock but this is not a concern.

The only negative that I found with this saw was the cast iron table and wings. Out of the box I found it not flat but concave (bowed down) in the centre around the blade opening which did not allow me to set the blade at 90 deg to the top on either side of blade. This disappointed me and so got the top wash ground flat for $50 but now found it convex at the centre and the wings did not attach flat right across the length. During the wash grinding the powerful magnet can cause the blade opening to dip if not properly shimmed and then pop up after the magnet is released.
    So still not happy I got a proper precision grinding shop to grind it properly but cost me $400!!! But now I have a perfectly flat table top and wings and all the adjustments were a dream to set-up with the dial indicator to within 2 thou.

So other than the cast iron top (the grinding place said that it was somewhat thin hence issues) it's a well built cabinet type table saw....so I guess you get what you pay for. In this case some cost saving in using a thinner cast iron top.

So I guess this saw cost me $1900 at the end but still much cheaper than comparable brand named saws with good features including the fence which I can"t fault.

Mike

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Mike thank you for the review.

Are you able to advise other members of the workshop that did the resurfaceing for you as others may be interested.

Have you found the one belt sevicable or do you think with the 12" blade you may need more drive for thicker peices.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Hi Jim,

Sure the Grinding place is next to Moorabbin Airport:
    HM Precision Grinding Pty Ltd Start Page

I haven't fitted a 12" blade yet because the riving knife supplied with the saw won't fit the blade size. The riving knife supplied is only good with a 10" blade so until I can get one made I won't use the 12" blade for safety reasons. BTW there was no blade supplied with the saw....which I prefer as I like using a high quality negative rake blade.

The 10" blade is fine and will cut the hardwoods that I threw at it! The 2 hp motor should be able to handle most woods without problem and the belt has ridges in it so looks capable. BTW the saw is 10amp so won't throw your CB.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your detailled, informative review. I am interested in getting on of these TS's in Melbourne. Could you recommend a local dealer?

Cheers

Rhys

Sorry for late reply been away....

you can look at this saw at Trade Tools, Dandenong
    Carrols in Geelong and where I got mine at Woodworking Warehouse in Braeside.

just be aware that there are various incarnations and prices of the same saw with various features....do your homework.

good luck.....
    cheers

Thanks for the info, I'll go check them out