Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Certainly is a bit different that one...

I wonder how accurate the table will run being on rollers like that...
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    Certainly is a bit different that one...

I wonder how accurate the table will run being on rollers like that...
    Hi RC

mine is very similar to rays and so far it seems to be very accurate I was doing some cylindrical grinding on it today and its holding .0002" (slight taper) along 10 inches wth 1.5" diameter mind you it took a bloody long time to set it up very nice finnish too

cheers
    Harty

Here is the culprit. The other side of the locking pin we initially mistook for an oil hole ...

That sleeve is the spacer between the two tapered roller bearings...

That nut, is what it's taken a whole day to get out... mind you it was a 1/2 hour job once we knew what we were doing...

Regards
    Ray

I'm glad you found what stopped us yesterday.... I didn't expect a taper pin...
    Well done.
    Joe

Hi Ray

I think she is ms clayton
    if she where mrs clayton it would have taken a whole day to get the nut in not out
    cheers
    Harty

Quote Originally Posted by harty69 View Post
    Hi Ray

I think she is ms clayton
    if she where mrs clayton it would have taken a whole day to get the nut in not out
    cheers
    Harty
    Well, if she is Ms rather than Mrs... she hasn't been very liberal with her favours...

The roller set up, I can't see why it couldn't be as accurate as ball bearing ways, the contact is along a line rather than a point. And the other axis is controlled by the bearings at either end, so if the guides are straight, the table has to move in a straight line.... (I think)

Regards
    Ray

I was just thinking of the tolerances of roundness the rollers on the chain are held to.

I was just thinking of the tolerances of roundness the rollers on the chain are held to.
    Hi .RC,

No idea, but I would imagine they are precision ground rollers, you would think it's easier to grind a perfectly round cylinder than a spherical shape... don't really know the answer..

One thing that ocurred to me, was that according to the name plate this machine was made by Cincinnati in Birmingham England, Sold in Australia by McPhersons..

Perhaps it was made during the war and they had a shortage of ball bearings? Just guessing.

Regards
    Ray

Ueee is offline Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Machinist, Messmaker

Ray,
    My Felder panel saw uses angled cylindrical rollers, the cheaper saws use ball bearings. A panel saw doesnt have to have the accuracy of a grinder, but if the (in my opinion) second best panel saw manufacturer in the world uses them over ball bearings that says something.

A roller also has a much larger contact area than a sphere so the bearing surfaces should last longer.
    Ewan

Are you going to remove that chain Ray? I’d be interested how the rollers mic up. You should be able to squeeze a micrometer in there. I was thinking there’s no reason those rollers won’t be every bit as accurate as any other sort of bearing.

If the rollers where centreless ground before assembly. The accuracy of the links / side plates etc, don’t come into play, they just space the rollers. Gamet bearings have holes in the rollers, thats just a linear version.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

I wasn't planning to remove the rollers, but there is enough room to get a mic onto them, so it's worth checking while I can. I'll post the results.

Josh bored the nut to be a press fit for the old pin, and we've tapped M5 from either side for locking grub screws.. and I've turned a spacer to go on the bottom of the pin so the bottom locking bolt still pulls up. Looks like it will do the job. Still got to chase up some bearings, new taper roller bearings for the crossfeed screw, and the table guide bearings. Should start to go back together after that...

Spindle adaptors are going to be from here...

Precision Grinding Wheel Adapters and Spindle Accessories from William Sopko & Sons Co., Inc.

The C200-1 and C200-2 for flat belt center drive, left and right handed. They also make adaptors to go from the Cincinnati taper 4.5" TPF to standard taper 3" TPF

I'm keen to see if these CBN wheels are any good..

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Regards
    Ray

Hi Ray

let me know when you are going to order from spoko as i need a couple of bits from them we may be able to save a bit on postage
    also whats the condition if the bellows on your machine I need to replace mine might be cheaper for 2

cheers
    Harty

Quote Originally Posted by harty69 View Post
    Hi Ray

let me know when you are going to order from spoko as i need a couple of bits from them we may be able to save a bit on postage
    also whats the condition if the bellows on your machine I need to replace mine might be cheaper for 2

cheers
    Harty

Hi Harty,

I'm waiting on prices from sopko, If I can sort out exactly what I need I will order in the next couple of days.

I'm thinking of an extension shaft might be handy for internal grinding.

I'm happy to combine orders, just let me know what you want, and I'll add it on to my order.

The rubber bellows looks ok, but has broken away from the hose clamp.. It looks like it was pop riveted onto the hose clamp and it''s torn out the holes.

The wheel head rotation appears to be stuck, I've backed off the locking nut, but it doesn't want to move? Mrs Clayton can be stubborn when she wants to.... maybe I need to give her some diamond jewelery..

Regards
    Ray

EDIT: Wheel head rotates ok now, it had been painted over and the paint gummed up the rotation... I didn't even have to show her the diamond wheel...

I will snap some pics of the bits and pieces I have later...

I will snap some pics of the bits and pieces I have later...
    Hi .RC,

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the centering gage, and what is needed for mounting the dogs.

Regards
    Ray

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast