Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Nice Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Here's one for you Bruce. Fixed table, no accessories and stiffly priced.

Used Scaublin (swiss) Milling Machine for sale - scaublin U 13, 38285
    Thanks for the temptation, Bob.
    Just as a matter of interest how difficult is it to get accessories fot the Schaublins ?
    A couple of days back I found myself drooling over Deckels FP1 & FP2.
    It must be an age thing but the older 1960 to 1970s looked very attractive. There is just a great style about them.
    However after spending hours staring at dial indicators & pursuing flat surfaces off my 70 yr old surface grinder, & getting nothing done, I think if I dont break this accuracy addiction, time will run out.
    Starting to think about what to take to scrape in the scrapeathon
    Bruce

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ueee is offline Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Machinist, Messmaker

Here's one for you Bruce. Fixed table, no accessories and stiffly priced.

Used Scaublin (swiss) Milling Machine for sale - scaublin U 13, 38285
    I have noticed that dealers seem to think there machines are somehow worth a lot more than private sellers, and are not necessarily in good condition or well serviced, a quick clean is all they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Abratool View Post
    Thanks for the temptation, Bob.
    Just as a matter of interest how difficult is it to get accessories fot the Schaublins ?
    A couple of days back I found myself drooling over Deckels FP1 & FP2.
    It must be an age thing but the older 1960 to 1970s looked very attractive. There is just a great style about them.
    However after spending hours staring at dial indicators & pursuing flat surfaces off my 70 yr old surface grinder, & getting nothing done, I think if I dont break this accuracy addiction, time will run out.
    Starting to think about what to take to scrape in the scrapeathon
    Bruce
    Hey Bruce,

I have answered your question in a new post. I imagine you are having an afternoon kip so hopefully you will read that response when you arise.

BT

Default Afternoon Kip

Bob
    Blokes like me who are 10 yrs older than yourself, & are still on the go, dont have any time for afternoon kips
    Too busy reading forums & chasing the "Flowers" on dial indicators.
    Looking forward to the Scraping & learning in Melb, It will be a great hands on thing with plenty of "chin wagging" I believe.
    Bruce

Default Yes

Hey Bruce,

I have answered your question in a new post. I imagine you are having an afternoon kip so hopefully you will read that response when you arise.

BT
    Thanks Bob, yes I did read it. Im dreaming of a Deckel. (Is that a song ?)
    Bruce

Hi All,

Both motors are back together, after rewiring and being checked, it's handy to have a Son In Law who is a motor rewinder. ...Might get the spindle motor on tomorrow for a test run.

The clean up is almost finished, just a few more parts to make, a few little knurled dial locking bolts that were replaced in the distant past with cap screws, and a missing handle are still to be done.

I've ordered sopko spindle arbors, eventually bought them from Travers through Amazon, no reply to emails sent to Sopko Funny how I can get stuff from China in days, instant email responses and good follow up communications, US companies just don't know how to compete anymore...

Let's see if this is right... clockwise wheel rotation == left hand thread, anticlockwise wheel rotation == right hand thread...

Regards
    Ray

How much do the arbors cost Ray?
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    How much do the arbors cost Ray?
    Hi RC,

About $100 each spindle, plus freight, but I've got them coming via shipito, with some other parts, so I'm not sure what the freight component per arbor would work out to. I'd guess another $20, so all up $120 per arbor.
    Which I don't mind spending, since that's the main area of the machine where it all comes together.

Cincinnati Taper Wheel Adapters | Travers Tool

The C200-1 and the C200-2 are for the old style center belt drive, which is what mine is, the keyed arbors for the later style are listed on the sopko web site.

Some other sopko parts are here...
    sopko | Travers Tool

Regards
    Ray
    PS The CBN wheels arrived today, so when I get the spindle motor on I might be able to do a bit of test grinding..

Default Sopko Woe.

Funny that Ray,

When I bought my worn out ( I know, there's a pattern developing ) Dumore tool post grinder, I contacted W Sopko and Son to purchase 200 bucks worth of spare parts. Spoke to Bill Sopko Jnr, humourless but helpful initially but when I rang back to pay for the parts, he wasn't around and no one else could help me . I rang back another 3 times, the final time he answered and told me he was too busy and that I should ring again. I didn't.

Dumore have two authorised service agents, Sopko and Electric Tool Service in Detroit. I rang Electric Tool and they could not have been more helpful.

Swings and roundabouts.

BT

Ray: This is another one of those "stories", third hand in this case that Topwork in Taiwan bought all the old tooling from Makino Japan to make the Makino C40 as the Topwork M40.
    Universal Cutter & Tool Grinder M-40: Top Work Industry Co., Ltd.

If the M40 isn't a Makino C40 then it's a very close copy of one and sells for US$17K last time I saw a quote from Taiwan in case you won lotto over the weekend. Anyway the guy who got the quote last year told me that the spindle adapters sell for around $10 a set from Topwork and fit a wide range of tool and cutter spindles.

The only reason I know this is that I was looking at putting that type of taper on some spindles I've been making as a sort of "quick change" arrangement for several different grinder wheels to be used on the one spindle and stand. Anyway, IF they are the same thing as what you want, then it looks like item No. 26 "grinding wheel sleeve" is five sets of those wheel hubs. I'd be also interested to know what they sell for.

M-40 Accessories: Top Work Industry Co., Ltd.

Edit: I reread your earlier post: the Makino arbors/sleeves I was looking at are the keyed type.

Hi Graziano,

Thanks for that, I''ve sent them a query asking if their M40 wheel head tapers are compatible with Cincinnati #2.

I'll post the answer when I get a reply.

Regards
    Ray

No reply from Topwork, but I haven't followed up yet..

Meantime, the machine is finally cleaned up and back together.

BT wanted some pictures of the work head.

Spindle is missing...

The run-out on the spindle is about 0.02-0.03, and the high spot is at the same spot on the tapers as well as the pulleys, so I figure the bearings need to be looked at. I'm still figuring out the setup, but I think it's AC bearings at one end and a floating arrangement of some kind at the other end, I've got to make some tools to be able to dissassemble it and see what's there. I imagine the AC bearings will be a matched preloaded pair.. ( this could get expensive! ) no idea what the other end is.

Regards
    Ray

Wow Ray, You and Josh dont mess about, it doesnt even look like the same machine. Keep up the good work.
    Stuart

I just replaced the bearings in my spindle Ray... I pulled four generic 6305's out of it.... Probably the previous owner shoved them in there.... They were of recent origin anyway being SKF and made in Malaysia..

I searched high and low trying to find out what it would have had in it originally.... An old picture seemed to indicate it had four 6305's in it from the factory, but I know for a fact later ones used a set of 7305 DUM's on one side and a floating 2305 on the other..

A 2305 in precision grade is just simply not made...As well 7305's in a medium preload are not as common as DUL's...

So as luck was in I chanced across a new set of fafnir's 2mm305WIDUL (fafnir abec7 7305 light preload pair) for $50 and I also picked up a fafnir mm305 (fafnir precision grade 6205) for the other side since I could not get a 2305.. The mm305 is floating in the housing...

Results appear to have been very good...
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Good going there RayG,
    Whether she is Miss Cincinnati or Mrs Clayton she has come up looking good with the attention and TLC you have been so affectionately lavishing on her. She's probably appreciating the expense too.

Just watch that Miss? Varnamo isn't getting jealous .

What is the biggest diameter wheel that the grinder runs? and or what is the normal spindle speed? Just wondering if they were supplied with different sets of pulleys for when smaller cup wheels are used. Different sets of pulleys can though be dangerous in the hands of careless operator.

Just thought, probably only one set of pulleys as it may be narly imposstabble to change once all assembled?? that is if the belt goes in the column, ummm I think it does go down the column, yes.

Cheers.

If I'm not right, then I'm wrong, I'll just go bend some more bananas.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast