Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Broke my new toy!

And I haven't even played with it yet !

I was in town picking up a few things from the paint shop (ingredients for a Sam Maloof mixture to try on a small Tassie oak bedside table) and noticed that the local Carbatec agent was right next door (OK, a short drive away )
    After being asked to stop drooling over the Festo displays, I ended up buying a driill press. Much cheaper that the price listed at Carbatec too.

Got it into the van and home OK, even got it out of the van OK by myself but wheeling it in to the shed on the trolley it slipped and fell, not too hard but it managed to land on the softest part, a thin metal shell that covers (or used to cover) the motor capacitor.
    Capacitor is a bit squashed so I can't even turn it on Hope I can find one tomorrow.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Oh Bugga, well at least it wasn't one of the Castings. I hope You get it fixed soon.
    All The Best steran50 Stewart

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at once.

Dave J Guest

Sorry to hear about that, give the place a ring and explain what happened, you never know they may have a non running motor laying around they could give you the bits off, worth a try at least.

Dave

+1 to the bugger. Still its like they cheapest part to replace

Stuart

Less than $20 at an white goods rePair suPPly Place.

SPeaking of which...I have to get a new keyboard, hence the bizarre uPPer case Ps
    It's all part of the service here at The House of Pain™

I got the only drill they had in stock. I get the impression that they don't carry spares but I'll give them a call next week - every thing here seems to close for the weekend.

On the basis that a faulty capacitor is none fatal (as far as motor operation goes) and the fact I have a nice new circuit breaker in the shed, I plugged it in and turned it on. It works! Starts and runs nice and quietly.

I'll call a couple of motor places tomorrow - if any are open to see who has a 100uF capacitor available. I'll have to do a bit of panel beating on the metal cover for the capacitor, it's squashed almost flat.
    The delay in being able to use it will give me time to build a small bench for it. As long as I don't have to drill any holes that is ...

New hiost out of action Geoff ??

Bummer hope its sorted soon.

Nothing worse than having a new toy and not being able to use it than breaking it before you can use it. Hope all works out.

Squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    New hiost out of action Geoff ??

Bummer hope its sorted soon.
    No Ray, I was just impatient

I didn't bother with the hoist as I was able to get the drill out of the van with no great effort but to save carrying it 10 metres, I grabbed the trolley. Problem was that there is a bit of a slope from the van to the shed and that's where I came to grief.
    To be honest, I forgot all about the hoist

Dave J Guest

The hoist will become second nature, but it will take a while. I find myself now moving things under the hoist to do them instead of busting my guts lifting it, but it has taken a while to think of it first and it's been up for a long time now.

Hopefully someone will have a cap cover plate for the motor, but glad to hear it runs fine. It could have been worse and bent the spindle or something.

Dave

Default Broken Toy.

You will get a new capacitor for about $15 at the nearest motor re-winding shop. Take the old one with you to make sure you get one with both the same specs AND the same or smaller physical dimensions so it will fir in the cover.I just got one for my chain mortiser at that price after being sent home to get the cover You can't operate the drill with the capacitor terminals uncovered.

Old Pete

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    And I haven't even played with it yet !

I was in town picking up a few things from the paint shop (ingredients for a Sam Maloof mixture to try on a small Tassie oak bedside table) and noticed that the local Carbatec agent was right next door (OK, a short drive away )
    After being asked to stop drooling over the Festo displays, I ended up buying a driill press. Much cheaper that the price listed at Carbatec too.

Got it into the van and home OK, even got it out of the van OK by myself but wheeling it in to the shed on the trolley it slipped and fell, not too hard but it managed to land on the softest part, a thin metal shell that covers (or used to cover) the motor capacitor.
    Capacitor is a bit squashed so I can't even turn it on Hope I can find one tomorrow.

Default Rotating the drill head

Does anyone know if the head on the Carbatec bench drill press will rotate 180 degrees?
    I need to drill holes in the edge (thin dimension) of some 25mm MDF and if I can rotate the drill head, it will just be high enough (I've mounted the drill on a stand about 800mm high)
    I do have the manual but it's not clear and my drill press came pre-assembled.

Geoff a grubscrew should be all holding it and weight the base to counter the head otherwise it might break more.