Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Cincinnati No.2 Tool and Cutter Grinder

Hi All,

This is the next project, I am planning to set it up to grind M2 chisels, in particular the side bevels on fine paring chisels. ( a forum group project )...

Thanks to Harty, ( and .RC's web site...) I now have the operator manuals and also the service and spare parts manuals, but the model variations are confusing me.

There seem to be a number of different variants of the No2, the most obvious being the base.

I'm planning the move for later this week, and the table needs to come off, so the current puzzle is to figure out which model variant it is, so that I can get the table off when I get on site...

Anyone got the same model? The service manual I've got is for the LL model, which looks to have a different base to the No2 above..

Regards
    Ray

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It's even got the motorized work head! Head over to PM if no one pipes up here.

Congratulations Ray!
    You got one quickly
    It looks a lot like the Van Norman, except for the height adjustable and swiveling spindle mount.
    Funny, I wondered and have looked long and hard at modifying the Van Norman to separate the spindle from the bed casting. I doubt there is enough CI to cut it successfully.... I may consider other or no options (and leave it all original).
    Joe

Ahh, so that's who bought that. Looks like you didn't pay too bad a price either, compared to what's normally asked for T&C grinders.

I'd almost talked myself into that one, then I looked in my workshop, and decided space taken vs amount of likely use didn't make any sense. Much better to put a big bandsaw there, in my case...

Looks like you may have solved your custom tapered reamer/drill problem!

Hi Ray
    it may be an em model

cheers
    Harty

That is the early one, same as my Macson model.. AFAIK the only difference between it and the later ones was later ones is the position of the electrical cabinet and they also put extended one of the rapid table traverse so it comes out the front...

The table is easy to remove, but it rather heavy... I will snap some pics later today (we just had 50mm of rain last night so it might be a day in the shed today)
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    I'm planning the move for later this week,
    G’day Ray.

Have they got a forklift there to load it? Sing out if you need a hand, I’ve got a few errands, to do out that way, I’ve been putting off. I could possibly meet you there.

Phil.

You have to push the table until these holders (the bits with red circles around them in the photo) are exposed then remove them.... One set on either end...... Then lift the table off vertically...

Just remember when you push the table so far it will be over centre and try to fall off itself... It is a real heavy thing as well, it is nearly a job for a forklift to lift off, but two strong people can lift it...

Those two large cap screws at the bottom of the photo, they are keepers that limit the table movement and stop the balls from falling out of the guideways..... And as we know there is nothing worse then your balls falling out and hitting the concrete floor..

Thanks .RC, if we had 50mm of rain here, I'd be looking for water wings... thanks for the pictures, that's exactly the information what I was looking for , I've done a bit of searching on line.

And as Harty said it looks like the EM model. (EDIT: I meant to comment on .RC's artwork... but words failed me )

Phil, it's an engineering firm in Clayton, Treforest Drive, just around the corner from George White. It will be Friday morning, so if you are in the neighbourhood, I'd welcome some help (I need all the help I can get!) I can give you a call on the mobile a couple of hours beforehand. They have a forklift and a crane, so loading should be ok. I'll have the ute and the hire truck, so the table and other smaller parts can go in the ute.

The web site with the overpriced manuals... Machinery Support Parts and Manuals has the following variants.

In the event that someone comes across this thread in the future, here are a few of some of the different models ... I think this is only a small number of the different variants.

The OM model.

The LL model

The MT Model (Milacron)

The EM model

I can start to see applications for much more than just tool and cutter sharpening, with the motorised work head (nicely spotted BT) it will do nicely for a bit of cylindrical grinding.

Jekyll&Hyde, I'm going to blame PDW for this... he was the one who suggested in another thread that I should get a T&C grinder to grind custom tapered reamers... Good advice.

Regards
    Ray

While being a different model Cincinnati, this scanned brochure may have more relevance now Ray than it did pre T and C.

BT

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/ci...ochure-137131/

Phil, it's an engineering firm in Clayton, Treforest Drive,
    I know it, Cross Hydraulics are at the end of that street. I should be available. You might think about bringing some decent timber bearers. That pallet looks a bit wonky to me. 4x 4’s or those cheap garden sleepers from Bunnings.

I see it has lifting bar holes through the side. I’d have bars and rag slings here, if they have a crane, that would be a simple job to get it off the pallet.

Phil.

the pallet does look structurally compromised
    on mine I just put the bars through the holes and lift it with the forklift under the bars I can just get the forks far enough apart to not rub on the sides

cheers
    Harty

Jekyll&Hyde, I'm going to blame PDW for this... he was the one who suggested in another thread that I should get a T&C grinder to grind custom tapered reamers... Good advice.

Regards
    Ray
    Why not, I'm always ready to urge other people to spend money. Exception being if a metal planer turns up for sale, RC & I have already entered into a bidding competition in advance so it's likely to get expensive for others.....

Unfortunately I may have a hard time competing with a rich cow cocky unless I actually get a job, and that seems like going to extremes.

T&C grinders are very handy things. I hardly use mine but that's more a reflection on the pile of sharp tooling I have on hand and my need for somewhat less precision for most of what I'm doing ATM. I can get within 0.1mm with an angle grinder, that's close enough for steel boat building.

PDW

Ray I have a spare set of centres here if you are interested..... I will never use two sets.. Or if you just want the left hand one...

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    Ray I have a spare set of centres here if you are interested..... I will never use two sets.. Or if you just want the left hand one...
    Hi .RC, I might just take you up on that offer, at least the left handed center. But I'll wait to see exactly what comes with the machine. Nothing other than what is in the pictures is what I'm expecting.

The planning for the move is all done, I've got 1" bars and 3T lifting slings, so the dodgy pallet can stay.. sling it under the forklift tines and I'll put it on a load mat on the tray truck, with 8mm chains and load binders.

Regards
    Ray

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast