Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Vertical Panel Saw - Panel Pro 2K

I bought this saw last year because I wanted to cut 8 x 4 sheet goods up to 19mm thick, either MDF or ply, easily. My table saw isn't big enough to do it safely and I don"t have the room to build supporting tables. Nor do I have room or the money to buy a panel table saw.

Ok I could cut the sheets as I"ve done before by laying some timber on the ground in front of my garage (if it's not raining) then laying the large sheet onto it and use a straight edge clamped down at the right distance to cut with my circular saw. Yep done it heeps and hated it. Got to be easier way.

I saw a You Tube vid on a workshop tour that had this panel saw. Liked the idea and found some info on the net.... Panel Pro Vertical Panel Saw PRO2K - Panel Pro Store this link is to the manufacturer's web site and also has a video on it.

So I bought it and it has been great! I have it mounted near my sheet rack, takes up little floor space, easy to load...I grab an 8x4 sheet with my Gorilla Grippa and slide it in easily (no lifting into a difficult horizontal position) then either line up with pencil line or use the cross-cut stop and slide the saw down to cut. It will also rip by turning the saw horizontally and pushing the sheet through.

The only negative is that the accuracy is about 0.75mm over a 1200 mm length. So if I need better accuracy I cut slightly oversize and finish cut on the Table Saw. The smaller sheet size is easier to handle on the table saw.

Also the 180mm blade supplied with the saw is awful and I replaced it with a new high quality negative rake blade. I like using negative rake blades especially with ply as leaves a better cleaner cut.

There is a distributor here in Australia but their price was twice as much as buying direct from Manufacturer in the States including shipping!!!!!! I paid just over a thousand and that included shipping and all the options.

Mike

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I saw these a while ago. It's an ok idea althought you should be able to do it cheaper with a bring your own saw.

How did you go with the 120V motor ? or did they supply a 240 ?

If it were me I'd design it to take an 8' board either horizontally or vertically and set it to cut in one direction. Then all you'd need is one accurate smooth track, a movable and lockable offset for the saw and appropriate board supports.

But a good idea. Glad it works well for you.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

I did think of building my own out of wood and some aluminium tracks and my circular saw but once I got into it realized I could not fabricate it accurately enough as well as safely enough.....it was going to be a nightmare especially without the steel fabrication skills and equipment needed! The PP2K is very safe as there is no way of getting your hands any where near the blade.

One modification I did do was make a clear Perspex viewing pane ontop of the guard, which improved lining up to a pencil line.

The USA company actually provided the saw with 240V 50hz motor and even had an Aussie power plug on the end of the cord!!! And what's better it is actually USA built and not a Chinese or Taiwanese import

Not sure what you mean by your second last paragraph but this panel saw will take an 8' sheet horizontally ok....I don't think vertically would be practical as it would make it too hard to use and too hard to manuoevre the sheet onto it.

I'm very happy with it as makes cutting large sheets easy in a small area.

Cheers

That's great. I had a closer look after I posted. I realised they did something like what I'd said, it wasn't immediately obvious. The other thing is it can be freestanding which I haddn't considered.

I am sure you'll get years of good work out of it.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

I hope so.....

I spent last Sunday tweaking it up and is now as accurate as the table saw so I can cut along a pencil line, especially now that I modified the guard with a viewing pane. The measuring tapes supplied by manufacturer (in metric) is not as accurate as lining up to a pencil line.

MT