Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Torque Work Centre

Hey All,

the main point is should I consider buying a TWC, as I don't have all the big machinery? As an Ex Carpenter I have amassed a lot of portable power tools so was thinking this would give me the versatility of a lot of machinery without have used up valuable space I don't have. At $4500 i know its a big outlay of cash but if I brought all the machinery it replaces I figured it would even out? I have seen Stue's shed, Lazy Larry and other videos on this product but want a less sales pitch and more users experience and advice.

Thanks

Phill

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Three questions seem to arise from this post:
    1* Exactly what machines does the TWC replace?
    2* How inconvenient would it be to keep changing the TWC from one function (e.g. sawing) to another (e.g. drilling)?
    3* How many machines of reasonable quality could you buy before reaching the cost of a TWC?

I suspect the answers to those questions have meant that not many members of these forums have bought a TWC, and that, therefore, the feedback you are looking for might be very limited.

I bought mine a few years back after watching it demonstrated at wood show. I have since done a few demo's at shows since so maybe a bit baised.
    Its certainly my goto tool
    I dont feel it replaces anything in my shed rather it enhances and makes jobs easier.
    But it could replace my router table,my tablesaw, my drill press.(looking back on my last use of drill press I think it might have actually replaced it)
    So far with the TWC I have made my own mounts for the biscuit joiner,chainsaw,and horizontal mount for drilling plus making my own extension table.
    The top is different from the factory recommendation its 30mm MDF into which I have drilled a pattern of dog holes to fit the walko/festool clamp system and also tracks fitted 5mm below surface for sliding clamps.
    The setup and changeover of tools is quick and easy and I have found that the better your tools the better the results.
    Not having a panelsaw I had always found that cutting up full panels a real pain but since having the TWC it really has been an easy exercise.
    Its nice being able to put the panel down on the bench mark it up clamp it down then cut accurately and safely.
    I can then rout or drill the cut pieces.
    The best thing I like about it is the work piece is clamped down and the sharp pointy bitey things are kept well away from my fingers.
    Its also nice to clamp down large slices of burls and rout them flat then sand them to a 600grit finish,same with large endgrain chopping boards.
    Also Yass Engineering are very good in that any enhancements they come up with are retro fittable and also they are very interested in feedback or improvements you as a user come up with.
    Like I said I might just be a bit biased about the TWC I like it a lot.
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

Or for $2-3k you could build a CNC router and let it do everything bar the final sanding....

It will also depend on what type of woodworking jobs do you want to do.
    Your portable hand tools in this TWC may be OK for hobbyist work to knock up a few shelves and cupboards etc ( I know these machines are better than this but I just want to raise the point ) but for a production run of raised panel doors etc for a kitchen or five, it may frustrate you.
    I've briefly used a couple of combo machines in the past and they were good but the constant setup and changing over would have driven me nuts.

Stewie