Default How to change the belt - Richardson Drill Press

Hey guys

Have had my old richardson drill press in storage for a few years and finally got it out...

I have purchased a new belt , but can't get it on! I have got an idea, but I dont want to go bashing around and then find out im doing it the wrong way.

I have attached some pics.

I am thinking that the top cylinder metal thing lifts out, which then allows the belt to be slipped over the bearing??

I have gotten to a point where it wont budge anymore, its completely stuck.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Cheers

Matt

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

How do you change speeds? My Drill Press has a lever that moves the pulleys towards each other which slackens the belt and allows speed changes. That same mechanism would also allow you to remove and replace the belt
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

I change speed by loosening 2 bolts that hold the motor in place, and then slide the motor forward (towards the front of the press) which loosens the belt, i change speed, then slide the motor back out again.

Still can't get the belt over the drive pully...

The "plug" in the top of the pulley shroud which holds the top bearing is a neat fit in the shroud and retained by the 1/4" bolt visible in pic #3. Make sure the bolt is undone, and you might find some penetrating oil around the plug will help. From that pic it appears that the plug is 3/4 the way out and only needs to be raised a further 10mm or so. You may then need to lower the spindle slightly to clear the belt.

Chas
    Last edited by Chas; 24th February 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Hi Chas

Thanks for your reply, seems that you are familiar with this machine? I remember you answered my post a few years ago too!!

So that plug should be able to come all the way out ?? If so, I will continue to perservere with the help of some oil.

The bolt is fully removed.

When you say lower the spindle do you mean with the rotational handle on the side ? or is there another way ?

Matt

The plug should come out completely, it contains the upper bearing for the pulley. You might have a burr from the retaining bolt giving you grief. It only needs to be flush with the underside of the pulley shroud for your purpose.

Lower the spindle by means of the feed handle so that the spindle splines are below the top of the pulley, allowing space to remove/replace the belt.

Your pic of the plug does not show a grease nipple in the top. There is normally one there to allow greasing the top bearing and the pulley splines. Pulley splines are subject to wear if not kept lubricated.

Chas

You could also ask these guys ...

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/ri...-press-148858/