Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Double Neck guitar body - questions

Hi guys...

Wanting to start a project on this, standard 12/6 format. I have DL'd Walcen's WGD body template to use as a base for my twin neck template, but I'm not sure how much gap to leave between necks. Anyone know?

Secondly, is a 12 string electric neck pocket a different size to a 6 string or are they the same?

Lastly, does anyone have a template for an asymmetric scalloped headstock (like the one on this guitar)? I am happy to draw one myself, but if there is already one out there then it would save a bit of work

Cheers, Steve.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by blacklimo View Post
    I'm not sure how much gap to leave between necks. Anyone know?

Secondly, is a 12 string electric neck pocket a different size to a 6 string or are they the same?
    For the gap between necks, I reckon having a look around for the measurements of those gibson twin necks could be a place to start. Surely someone has had a go at building something similar to one of them as well. The other option would be to make the necks first and lay them next to each other at a distance that you think is comfortable and functional, and then take the measurement from that. Or just draw up the necks and do the same thing, that might save some time

In regards to the neck pocket, it comes down to how wide you plan on making the necks. It's your build, you can do what you please really
    Hopefully some of that was helpful

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get hold of the measurements for a Gibson EDS1275, should be a good starting point for adjusting my template. I haven't yet decided if I'm gonna go with a carved top or flat, but I might have a crack at carved (might have to practice on a bit of scrap first though)

I was originally planning on having the necks made for me, but I got to thinking that building the entire thing myself would be so much more satisfying. Only problem is, I have never made a neck before. I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Brisbane where I could find a course that would cover neck building? I would really love to learn how to do it.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by blacklimo View Post
    Hey,

I was originally planning on having the necks made for me, but I got to thinking that building the entire thing myself would be so much more satisfying. Only problem is, I have never made a neck before. I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Brisbane where I could find a course that would cover neck building? I would really love to learn how to do it.

Thanks again
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes it is far more satisfying making your own neck, and if I can do it on a first build, anyone can and as far as learning how, just read through some of the build threads on this forum. in regards to the head stocks, I would imagine that the 12 string has more string tension so I would recommend scarf joining the head stocks.

I also notice that the Gibson EDS 1275 has no volutes, you may want to consider them for added strength.

The Gibson EDS 1275 12 string neck appears to be a couple of mm wider at the last fret, around 59mm as opposed to the 6 string, around 57mm and they appear to be 130mm apart from centre to centre give or take a few of mm.

So a double neck WGD may look something like this.

Hope this is helpful.
    regards to all

Wal
    <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line- 120%; }</style> Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Abert_Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by walcen View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes it is far more satisfying making your own neck, and if I can do it on a first build, anyone can and as far as learning how, just read through some of the build threads on this forum. in regards to the head stocks, I would imagine that the 12 string has more string tension so I would recommend scarf joining the head stocks.

I also notice that the Gibson EDS 1275 has no volutes, you may want to consider them for added strength.

The Gibson EDS 1275 12 string neck appears to be a couple of mm wider at the last fret, around 59mm as opposed to the 6 string, around 57mm and they appear to be 130mm apart from centre to centre give or take a few of mm.
    Awesome, and thanks for the warm welcome I have a friend who is just getting into guitar building as well, perhaps we could learn together and teach each other the wrong way to do things, but at least it'll be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by walcen View Post
    So a double neck WGD may look something like this.

Hope this is helpful.
    regards to all

Wal
    Wow, that's a great drawing Wal, came out better than my butchery of your single neck template Mind if I use it?

I should probably prototype a single neck before attempting to conquer the grandaddy of guitars, at least if I botch the neck it won't be a total disaster, and it'll give me some practice at carved top contouring... I want to use a book-matched flame maple top on the double, it'd be a shame to ruin it.

For the 12 string neck, decide on a bridge first (the overall string width will generally be greater than for a 6) and then choose you nut width- ditto.
    These and the spacing from outside strings to edge of fretboard will govern your fretboard width and taper, Draw it up

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhigh View Post
    For the 12 string neck, decide on a bridge first (the overall string width will generally be greater than for a 6) and then choose you nut width- ditto.
    These and the spacing from outside strings to edge of fretboard will govern your fretboard width and taper, Draw it up
    Yes I agree, I'd even suggest purchasing all your hardware first including the machine heads and decide how far apart you want the machine heads on the two necks to be, and work your neck spacings off that.
    <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line- 120%; }</style> Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Abert_Einstein.