Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default finish on top of metal inlay

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175></TD><TD class=alt1><!-- icon and title --> metal inlay
    <HR style="COLOR: #c0aa94" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hi Guys,

first time posting, I need advice due to technical challenge.

I am building a dinning table in solid american wallnut, which has an aluminium (3mm) inlay. My polisher and the paint supplier do not want to apply a full finish over the alumin while in place as they are worried about bond and stress fractures due to movement.

Now I have seen this technique being applied by "Knoll" in their office case goods. Any body has any experience they can share or guide me to a resource that can help ??

Finish I am considering is a 10% poly (BC coatings)

many thanks
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Enrique,
    your pictures or whatever they are don't show up on my computer so I can't see what you're trying to do. Aluminium is notoriously difficult for paint to adhere to. It usually needs to be (hydrofluoric - very nasty) acid etched or sand blasted or abraded just prior to applying coatings. Coatings are usually specifically designed for use on aluminium, so I can see why your polisher and supplier are running scared. Possibly aluminium with a clear anodised finish will take a finish better, but i don't know for certain.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938