Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homemade Dovetail Jig

For quite some time I've wished for a dovetail jig. I could afford to purchase one but would rather have a go at building one from scratch.

I tried searches on this forum but nobody seems to have built one from scratch.

Looking around the web one sees quite a few but they all appear to require you to purchase a guide, which usually appears to be a phenolic plate manufactured by a CNC machine, nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather have a go doing it myself.

I eventually resorted to back issues of the Australian Woodsmith and came up with one in issue 11. This appears to be within the realms of my equipment and skill level.

Has anyone out there either contemplated building this jig or it's equivalent?

Mick.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Mick,

I too am looking for a Dovetail Jig, and the thought of building appeals to me.. Do you have the plans from that back issue, as if possible, I'd be interested in having a look at them.

Cheers,

Mike
    There's always a better way to do things, get someone else to do it for you.!

Mike, yes I do have the plans, instructions and a million other pieces of information in the aforementioned issue number 11.

There is a total of 10 whole pages (without any advertisements) devoted to dovetailing and dovetail jigs.

There are the actual plans and method of construction four pages.

Then there is an article on how to use a jig with the emphasis on the newly constructed jig four pages.

Then there is a double page spread on dovetailing tips.

Accuracy in the manufacturing, is paramount as to whether or not it'll work to exacting standards or be left under the bench.

I could photocopy and post to you, PM me if you wish.

Mick.

scan em into a PDF if u can, useful for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by reeves
    scan em into a PDF if u can, useful for everyone.
    Umm, their maybe copyright issues involved in doing that.

If you want to risk being sued then go right ahead.

FWIW, I have the issue of Woodsmith that you are talkikng about.
    I also own a cheap Taiwanese half blind dovetail jig.

Make of that what you will.

Yes, copyright would be a problem. As a person who usually wishes to be paid for work that I do, I believe that there can be reasonable licence taken on copyright, but, the bottom line, is that someone has put a lot of effort on a commercial basis to produce the article and put it out for general sale. They should be able to generate some income from what has been quite some work in creating the article.

I know that's it's been lifted from the American version of the magazine, but they would have to compensate them for it as well.

Yes, it's an old issue but I'm sure you could still purchase it from the publisher.

The only thing I know of that is perfect and free, is a new love!

I've decided that I'll look very carefully at the article for the whole procedure and material list, then I'm about 99% sure I'll give it a go.

Mick.

Mick
    The only thing I know of that is perfect and free, is a new love!
    Maaaate even that can cost ya!!!!! in one way or another.
    Regards
    Al .

You don't know, what you don't know, until you know it.

Default Dovetail jig

Hi Guys,

The dovetail jig in the Aussie Woodsmith explains how to manufacture the "Comb" from hardboard/masonite. However the photos show the jig being constructed and used with a commercial built "comb". You can buy them for about $40, so it's probably not worth building the Comb unless you have access to a Mill.

Glen.

I've not seen the article, but just thinking on the fly, and wondering about a jig myself, why cant the Comb, be easily made on the router table, using a box joint jig to index the material for the Comb, surely this would give the level of accuracy needed and be a kind of quick method of producing the comb, and with the advantage that you could easily produce a number of Combes with what ever spacing etc you might want???
    It's Ripping Time!!!

Buy the Back issue it is only $7.50 inc GST & postage.

http://www.australianwoodsmith.com.au/backissues.html

Glen, yes you are right that the article

Glen, yes you are right that the article shows what appears to be a commercially manufactured comb.

The article does go on to say and show in pictures how to manufacture a comb using masonite on a table saw using a dado blade set to 11mm. I don't own a dado blade and having a Triton it wouldn't fit anyway.

I'm not 100% sure of how I'm going to do it but I'm going to give it a go.

Sorry about the duplicate posting but somehow I've turned something on and every time I hit the end key or misspell a word some kind of spell checker or work check system manages to get involved and make life extremely difficult.

Mick.

Mick C., I've been thinking along those lines and I'm burning to try out my brand new $39.95 GMC router I picked up yesterday on something which will give it a purpose for being bought.

Seriously though, I've sketched out a couple of scenarios, one only has to work out how to make up a registration system and you're away!

Mick.

Mick, i have built Rockers Micro Adjustable Box Joint Jig for my table saw, and it is fantastic for repeatability and accuracy, so i was thinking of another for the router table, and away you go!(seems like another project for the router before you start on your router project ), But, a word of warning, it seems as though hard-board is abbrasive or such??? This afternoon while doing some templates for the arched tops of some kitchen cupboard raised panel doors, i managed to damage brand new, only opened today, CMT Flush Trim bit :confused: not happy, and am sure i didnt do anything wrong by it??? maybe someone can enlighten us on the hard/abbrasive properties of Hard-Board????
    It's Ripping Time!!!

Default Dovetail Comb

Hi Mick,

The dovetail jig is for cutting Half-blind dovetails. The slots in the comb are fairly easy to cut accurately, but the rounded "fingers" of the comb need to be cut accurately too. The article says to use a file. If you have the hand skills to do that I would be very envious. I couldn't/wouldn't even consider trying to do it. I'd be wasting my time. Timbecon sell combs for about $40 or Carba-Tec have the EuroJig combs for $89 (half blind) $119 (thru).

Good luck,

Glen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast