Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Shipping container shed design

This is my initial design for my shipping container shed.

The container on the left is for storage. The container on the right for woodwork. Middle area will have wooden gates and will house lawn mowers garden tools etc. The timber area on the left is for firewood. The boxed in area near the firewood is for the rubbish bins. (haven't drawn gate yet)

The roof has to be worked out yet. I have all the shed building books from the library at the moment.

Last edited by Arch Stanton; 15th March 2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Typo

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The only real rule is if its catches water it needs gutters and drainage away.

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    The only real rule is if its catches water it needs gutters and drainage away.
    It will have gutters. I'm on tank water and I'm keen to collect as much water as possible.

You are going to need some sort of pitch on that roof to help the water drain away

Probably should lift the containers off the ground

If the roof is located 300mm or more above the containers they will be cooler inside

may want to consider fitting doors to the sides of the shed boxes

may want to consider adding windows and/or ventilation to the boxes

may want to consider the option of being able to work in the clear space between the boxes and orientate the boxes accordingly
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Containers are a great solution for a storage shed but can get hot and stuffy when used as work areas. Bro-in-law's business used one as a workyard site office winter-summer-winter then said nope too hot before 2nd summer.

If orientation to sun permits, I'd drop a fascia (?) down from roofline - spaced from container as suggested by ian for the roof - to keep direct sun from the sides too. If you do it right it won't block too much breeze.

Is that a back wall shown between the two containers ?

Don't know if they were modded or not, but the last school I worked at, had two used to store sports gear beside ovals. They each had a double opening on one side rather than the end. It was much simpler to move stuff in and out (some of it fairly large) though some storage volume must have been lost I reckon. One mod I do know about what their ventilation. A couple of whirly birds and enlarged vents.

Are you paving or having raised flooring of sorts between the two and or in front of container entry ? I'm thinking of water lying on the ground.

Ventilation makes a huge difference on containers. I have 2 whirly birds on mine and even though it seems really hot when it is shut up, inside its not that bad. Have a look at this temp log for the container.

The internal air temp inside is rarely more than 7º hotter that the outside air temp. What gets really hot is the container skin temp which is up to 17 degrees hotter than the air temp. If you can keep the sunlight off the skin the skin temp drops to outside air temp which then makes a bigger difference inside the container.

If the container is not ventillated it can reach more than 30º hotter than outside air temp.

This idea is now in the bin.

I'm gonna get a proper shed.