Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Luthiers! I need your help.

For a school project I have decided to make a electric cello but I have no idea how to make one. So i was wondering if anyone out there could guide me as to shaping and producing one I would apreciate it

*any handy hints or heads up would be great

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by LucyLouise. View Post
    For a school project I have decided to make a electric cello but I have no idea how to make one. So i was wondering if anyone out there could guide me as to shaping and producing one I would apreciate it

Cheers.
    Hi LucyLouise and welcome,
    First things first google electric cello plans see what you come up with. google is the best place to start. Regards Bob

Hi Lucy Louise, I built an eub (elec upright bass) on line. Follow the OzBass link. You might want to build something different but this will give you an idea of the process. I would use an off the shelf piezo system for just one.

You can design your own, copy your cello ..fingerboard, heel placement, neck shape and scale length exactly. the rest is up for grabs. Have fun.

In the link in one or two opperations I've removed a guard. DO NOT DO THIS! ALWAYS USE A GUARD ON A MACHINE!!

OzBassForum • View topic - CHRIS FRAZIER'S LEFT HANDED PAULIN EUB
    Last edited by Ball Peen; 21st March 2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: more info
    Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by LucyLouise. View Post

Cheers.
    An electric cello can be anything you want it to be within the reasoning of some measurements that are critical. That is, the scale length, neck length, fingerboard length, mensur, etc., to facilitate playability. You want to build it so that any cellist can pick it up and play it without having to adjust position shifts. There is a lot of info on the net regarding cello dimensions.

Default Elec Cello... NO.. Cigar Box Uke...Yes

Lucy. I'm a retired High School Woodwork teacher with a passion for building musical instruments. I've had many students such a yourself.

My advice to you is to set your sights a little lower.

An Elec Cello is a great idea, but you will not get help, plans, or the material easily even on the internet. I think that embarking on a project like this with no prior experience is not the way to go.

Try this instead, A Cigar Box Uke.. You Tube vids are available to asist, ..Free plans and instructions are available on the net. Materials are readily at hand.....

This may not be the grand project that you wished for, but it will get finished.

Phil

Hi Lucy - have a look at this page Libellula Electric Upright Bass (EUB) it has everything you need to make an upright bass. might not be exactly what you are after but it will point you in the right direction, especially with dimensions etc

Also have a good read through Bill's link (Awesome work Bill that proved to be some good reading whilst i should have been working!! )

if you have a look through the link Dadovfor posted a couple of days ago https://www.woodworkforums.com/f98/gu...s-more-149918/ i think i saw a link within it on Cellos etc.

If you are passionate about making it, you will get it done...the learning experience will be invaluable.

If you do proceed be sure to post your progress

Cheers
    Glenn

If you take a look at this page you'll find plans and information on a whole range of instruments that might interest you.

But about a quarter of the way down you'll find plans for a cello.

While the site is Danish, many of the plans and books are in English ... including the cello information.

GitarreBassBau.de • Thema anzeigen - Schablonen und Zeichnungen • Gitarrenbau, Bassbau

Cheers Glen,

I think Phil is right go, for something you can finish. I'd still build a cello but a funky folk art cello. 2 or 3 string? Check the link ,cyberferal make many interesting things with 20 lt. oil cans.

Cyber Feral Industries
    Cheers, Bill

Thank you Phil but I can't change now, my folio iis due tomorrow. I will keep that in mind for any upcoming assignments. i will keep your advice in mind though.

Thank you everyone, everything has helped so much
    If you find anything else could you keep sending it?

You have all made things so much easier

Did anybody post this one yet?

The Electric Cello Project
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.