Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Inst. for Makita plane blades adj.

Hi all,
    Anyone happen to have the instructions to a Makita hand plane? I just bought a used one and want to know how to set the blades evenly and to a proper and equal height. I already called Makita an they're sending out a proper booklet. I just don't want to wait for them to mail it. All I need is the paragraph or two of instruction for setting the blades.

Thanks,

Baz
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    May Yesterdays Tears Quench the Thirst for Tomorrows Revenge

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Barry,
    I assume you are talking about a Makita electric planer coz I'e never seen a Makita non electric anything.

If it is the same as mine (which is ancient so these instruction may not apply. First, wind the blade as far back into the unit as far as it wil go ( by this I mean use the blade height adjuster to retract the blades)Then find the three small bolts holding each blade in place. They need to be loosened and the blade moved to a position so that the cutting edge of the blade is just level with the baseplate of the planer. You should have a small tool (the name of which escapes me but it comes with the planer) which you use to do this. You then need to tighten each of the three bolts slightly in turn until they are all done up tight taking care not to move the blade. Don't try to do this in a hurry. Then repeat the whole procedure for the other blade. Good Luck.

Makita have a setting Block that you use to set the blades to the correct depth and it doesnt matter if the blades have been sharpened a little different they should come out the same.
    The way it works is you take the blades out of the machine and there is a small plate with two screws on the edge of the blade, this plate is put to the edge of the block and the blade is pushed to the front of the block then the two screws tightened this should give you the two blades set to the correct depth. then you install the blades and holders back onto the roller and you are ready to go. Remember to tighten everything as you go as you do not want those little suckers flying off at you.If you are talking to makita you could ask them to supply one or there may be a local service agent near you who could get the setting block for you.

------------------
    Jim
    Turn it up
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I've just picked up the setting block at Kinston Tool Supply in Cheltenham. And not only did they have the block for only $10 they explained to me how to use it. Excellent value as far as I'm concerned.

Baz
    Thanks,
    Barry G. Sumpter
    May Yesterdays Tears Quench the Thirst for Tomorrows Revenge