Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Arch

Nice plans. A few thoughts.

Why are you using open shelves? In a woodshop, unless you manage to capture all the dust, things on the shelves would get dusty quickly. I would use cupboards instead if you can.

You have a zillion acres of bench space around the walls of this shed. You can never have too much bench space but I think you would be close. Setting aside the cost of making/buying cupboards, I'd be inclined to convert some benches to shelves and free up the space used by the island of shelves. You also need to think about clamp storage (can never have too many clamps). But perhaps you have a lot of stuff to store!

You don't have a chop saw/compound mitre saw for docking material to length. Or Perhaps I've missed it somewhere. I know you can do most things with a table saw and hand held circular saw, but nothing beats the simplicity of a chop saw for cutting things to length.

I like the sink. You should plan to put your sharpening station nearby too, so maybe leave some more space from the corner (or remove the corner cupboards). And kudos for the beer fridge.

I'd be inclined to separate out the gardening equipment. Petrol and woodwork tools don't often mix well. And you don't want your shed smelling like grass and fuel. There are always cans of fuel, oil, rags, etc.

Anyway, just a few suggestions.

Trav
    Trav, I really like your post, thanks. I have considered a lot of what you have said but didn't manage to work it into my plan. I had planned to have the sharpening station near the sink but just haven't drawn it yet. There is a chop saw on the long bench with the window.

While the gaden tools are in the shed I want them to be seperate and definitely would have a seperate bench for working on them.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

No dramas. That's what this place is for - testing your ideas. But ultimately you need to be happy with the shed, as you will be the one using it.

Remember to post pics as things progress!

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

I'm making progress. It is looking less cluttered. I have put a little room near the roller door for garden tools, fuel etc.

I would like to put doors on the shelving but I fear that in reality it may be one of those things I leave to last and never gets done.

The bench near the shelving will be for a sharpening station.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post

The bench near the shelving will be for a sharpening station.
    Is that what they call it these days?

I like the new plan. Presumably all the machines clustered together will be on mobile bases to move out when they're being used. Good idea, but you will need somewhere nearby to move them to.

I would build the scms into the bench so that you have big out feed tables on each side.

You could consider putting in some moveable hanging power points and some temporary dust extraction hoses which would allow you to try out the layout before deciding on the best final arrangement.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Is that what they call it these days?

I like the new plan. Presumably all the machines clustered together will be on mobile bases to move out when they're being used. Good idea, but you will need somewhere nearby to move them to.

I would build the scms into the bench so that you have big out feed tables on each side.

You could consider putting in some moveable hanging power points and some temporary dust extraction hoses which would allow you to try out the layout before deciding on the best final arrangement.

Trav
    All the machinery except the drill will be on wheels. I have planned to have hanging power points and dust extraction.

that's looking good. Great idea having somewhere for stools and being able to sit at the bench. Lots of bench space and storage underneath.

Is that a sink in the back corner ?? If so I'd have the fridge closer to it and also make sure you include a hand basin in the toilet.

Not sure about the log splitter and ride on in there either.

Doing a great job drawing it up, I've tried to use Sketch Up, but give up after awhile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12