Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Wixey thicknesser (Planer) depth Gauge

I've had this gauge from Wixey (WR510 Digital Readout) for some weeks now and it has saved me time and trubble judging the thickness of my timber as I thickness it to size. I installed it on my new De Walt 735 thicknesser that this gauge was made for along with other models. It says it can fit other thcknessers and the instructions give a number of options to fit it to these.

I had it installed within an hour and as I use it I check the thickness with my set of calipers as a check. The thickness is out by only .05 of a millimetre and I have made no adjustments to it yet as this is good for me. You do a plane of one surface and then put it in the gauge base to get the hight of the timber, then you know what you got to take off to get to your size. It's easy to set and turn off and back on. Converts and measures in mm and inch with the push of a button. I find turning the handle on a thicknesser for changing the hight of cut a bit of a hit or miss affair and this has solved my problem, so no trial and error for me. This is the updated model with the inclined readout face. I got mine from amazon in total for AU$52.35 with post.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sounds good.....I have DW735 as well ...

Any chance posting a pic of your setup?

MT

Will do in time as I can't edit the pick until I get back to work on the 16th April.

SB

Here are the picts I said I would post, they are of my Wixey on my Thicknesser.

SB

Thanks SB........I ordered one through Amazon as well.....I'll use your photos as reference when I get mine ready for installation!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by simops View Post
    Thanks SB........I ordered one through Amazon as well.....I'll use your photos as reference when I get mine ready for installation!

Cheers
    I just followed the instructions looking for the info on my thicknesser the DW735. I used a good straight edge clamped to my feed in plate to set the gauge level so I had both hands free.

SB

SB,

About to install.....question: did you use the double sided tape to fix to your existing height bar or did you optionaly screw it instead. And did you remove the existing tape measure or leave it in place and just screw or glue to it?

Ta

Hi, just wondering how thin you can take a board on the Dewalt?

Cheers, Will

Quote Originally Posted by willcall View Post
    Hi, just wondering how thin you can take a board on the Dewalt?

Cheers, Will
    As thin as you want but first as with any thicknesser, you put the piece you want very thin on a 20mm board with double sided tape (I have found you don't always need it) and just put it through as normal untill you got it as thin as you want. I guess there is a limit but I've got down to 2mm myself for a project. I would think it may also depend on the type of timber you want and which way the grain runs to reduce tearout.

SB

Quote Originally Posted by Superbunny View Post
    As thin as you want but first as with any thicknesser, you put the piece you want very thin on a 20mm board with double sided tape (I have found you don't always need it) and just put it through as normal untill you got it as thin as you want. I guess there is a limit but I've got down to 2mm myself for a project. I would think it may also depend on the type of timber you want and which way the grain runs to reduce tearout.

SB

Thanks!