Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default # 2 done and seeking advice on #3

No 2 is all wrapped up. No 1 was a small body in blackwood with a cedar soundboard. I was after a more mellow sound for picking like my 64 Levin. Achieved that although not as much sustain as I'd like. Decided that No 2 would be a Jumbo 12 string in Qld Maple with a Sitka soundboard. A few hiccups in that I missed a couple of small fills which I didn't see until after buffing. I'm thinking that I may be able to drop fill them at some stage, would this work? On the other hand, they're probably not going to matter a whole bunch as nobody seems to have noticed them till I point them out and also I have had a degree of distortion to the back which appeared after the second day's spraying of top coat (agin noone seems to notice but I know it's there!). I'm not sure what happened as the maple had 2 coats of epoxy and it was fine after rubbing that back and fine again after wet sealer coats and 6 coats of top. I scuffed it back before each day's spraying and it didn't appear until the morning of the third day. The affect was severe but it reduced dramatically after 24 hours so kept going, figuring it would either come out or I'd have to replace the back. It almost disappeared totally after 5 weeks of hardening but is obviously more noticeable after buffing. I used one of the Belen hydrogold water borne lacquers so thought that it might be due to moisture but how would it get through 2 coats of epoxy, 6 coats of sealer and 6 top coats before appearing? Any ideas?? Had no problem at all with KTM9 on No 1.

Just uploaded some (better) photos. I can't get the warping to stand out any better but the one shown is about 0.25mm deep and is the worst. All seem to follow the heavier grain lines. It's a lot easier to feel rather than see.

On another note (and the main readon for this post!), I'm thinking No3 will be an acoustic bass. A friend in the 70s/80s played in a (well known) bush band and used a Maton Bindara which I really liked the sound of. The problem is, the bindara was 23.5" long by 18.5" wide and 8.25" deep. I'm not too sure that I would go quite that deep as it was a bit of a pig to play so I was thinking that maybe 7.5-8" would be ok. Any idea where I can source this 'oversize' timber? Also I was thinking of electrifying this one, what would be a good pickup?

Os
    Last edited by Osbojo; 8th April 2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Better Photos

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hmm... Guess everybody's still getting over Easter!

Surely somebody knows where I might be able to order oversized soundboard, back & side set from???

Os

I'm sure the forums good sponsor, Tasmanian Tonewoods, would be able to help you out with some local stuff. The website says to contact then for custom orders etc.
    Not sure if you're after something else?
    Anyone else????

Roscoe

Fair comment. I have to admit, I only hit the websites and looked at the sizes of their stock. Just assumed that this was all they would supply . I'll shooft off a couple of emails and see if they can do something for me.

Thanks,

Os

Thanks again Roscoe, excellent advice.

I didn't really want to spend a fortune on timber for this one as I'm pretty much flying blind design wise so decided to look OS for reasonably priced timber. I sent out a few emails but only had a positive response from one. Jerry Hibdon at Hibdon Hardwood is preparing and selling me a nice Walnut back and side set at a very fair price and I ordered a Jumbo set each of Cherry and Myrtle to get some value out of the freight. A really nice bloke to deal with too. I've bought from nice soundboards from Alaskan Specialty Woods in the past so will email them for the oversized soundboard.

Os.