Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Baroque Lute

Default Baroque Lute

Hi everyone, first time on this forum, thanks for the welcome.
    I have been working on a Van Edwards baroque lute from scratch, for my son, for the last 9 years! I am embarrassed by the time it has taken me but it is my first effort at anything like this. The main reason for taking so long is due to me getting despondent when things do not go right and I give up for months on end.
    However I am nearly there and seek advice on filler. I have some small imperfections that need to be put right before the final rub down. Could I make up a paste of dust and glue? I have tried tinned ebony filler but the finish does not look right.
    All comments appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi BK, welcome aboard,

Personally, I've never had much luck with the CA/dust solution. I've always found that it dries dark for me and stands out like the proverbial. I guess it depends where the fixes are to a degree but my favourite is Timbermate. I keep black, white and a couple of shades of brown in stock and can generally knead together a combination of these to colour match to a piece of scrap of the same timber type wet down with some mineral spirit. Don't know if Timbermate is available in the UK but I guess if not, there will be something similar.

Love to see some photos of the lute.

Os

One of the common methods is saving up the sawdust from the timber you've been working with and mix it up with some wood glue. Cheap, easy and effective, all you need is a piece of card to mix it and apply into the gaps. Some timbers will match more than others though

Ive used fine sawdust mixed with white shellac with good results. relatively easy to work and keeps well to. if it goes hard just add a bit more shellac or mix up some more. you dont need much. Although I like the timbermate idea and will keep that in mind for future projects

cheers

Frank

Thanks everyone. The problems are mainly round the pegbox and sides of the fingerboard. Had a quick look for timbermate in the uk but not found a source yet. Will keep looking. The Brummer ebony filler I have tried dries out grey.
    May try the epoxy/sawdust. Will be taking some more pics soon, will try and post one on the forum. BK

Default Glue + Sawdust fller, not a good option.

My experience is that Glue + Sawdust filler is not a good option because of the bad colour match, and the texture goes wrong.

If you have ever applied a finish over an accidentaly applied gluey thumbprint, or a join where the glue has penetrated the surrounds, you will easily notice where the glue has penetrated the wood.

It leaves a milky stain which stands out like the proverbial, Ouch...Been there, done that!

Yet somehow there still exists is a myth that Glue + Sawdust is viable as a filler.
    Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage would bust this in an instant.

I have also tried many commercial products to fill the gaps,.... all have let me down big time because they draw attention to the gap as they absorb the finish and change their colour like a chamelion attempting to hide on a doormat.

Try this instead. ... Fill the gaps only after applying the first couple of coats of finish.

Ahh yess....Instint dictates that you fill the gaps.... then apply the finish.

Do it the other way round for a better result.

Phil.

Bantam

You can use some thin slices that you chisel of the same wood used in the build to make a splice, even some smaller trouble can be enlarged to accommodate these infills (i like vee shape shapes and find these can be almost invisible) and any fine glue joints can appear as a grain line) Don't forget to orient the grain so it runs in the same direction as the corresponding/offending piece. I like Tite bond for softer woods.

Steve

I have a Van Edwards Renaissance lute nearly completed so can relate to your frustrations. A lute is a daunting project to take on as a first build.

Re the imperfections...youll find that not many lutes are perfect, even the ones made by famous luthiers.

What sort of wood are we talking about? What finish are you putting on the instrument? If it's a dark wood like IRW with prominent grain/figure then getting any filler to blend in is going to be difficult. Unless the blemish is screaming at you Id just leave it....noody's first build is going to be perfect and a perfect first build lute.......they just dont exist

Cheers Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bantiekeeper View Post
    Hi everyone, first time on this forum, thanks for the welcome.
    I have been working on a Van Edwards baroque lute from scratch, for my son, for the last 9 years! I am embarrassed by the time it has taken me but it is my first effort at anything like this. The main reason for taking so long is due to me getting despondent when things do not go right and I give up for months on end.
    However I am nearly there and seek advice on filler. I have some small imperfections that need to be put right before the final rub down. Could I make up a paste of dust and glue? I have tried tinned ebony filler but the finish does not look right.
    All comments appreciated.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Thanks everyone. The area's that needed filler were all on the ebony neck/fingerboard. Most of them are quite small. I have scraped a mixture of dust and shavings from an old piece of ebony and mixed it with wood glue. After drying I chiselled and sanded down. Quite pleased with the result.
    Martin, I am following the Van Edwards basic finishing and using Danish Oil.
    The rosewood bowl has had 5 coats so far with another one or two to go.
    I have checked with David Van Edwards as to wether oil is applied to the rest of the instrument and been advised to oil the other parts too but leave the fingerboard or restrict it to one light coat to give uniformity of colour.
    Need to get this finished soon as my son has been waiting long enough to get his hands on it!