Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Pine guitar

Default Pine guitar

Hi Folks,

I just recently finished another build using pine of all things. I've seen pinecasters etc online and I thought I would give it a go using whatever was left over from previous builds. It didn't take very long. The only difference is I used pine for the neck as well (gasp!!!) ahh well why not?. The neck was created by carefully laminating 5 * 1 meter (40MM X 20MM??) lengths of pine on edge..basically the kind you get for a $1 or so from Bunnings. I was careful to pick pieces without knots and pretty straight grain. The body was made from 4 pieces of structural pine (once again care of bunnings) and probably cost around $12 total.

The fingerboard is maple and I used a white pickguard and left over Walnut where possible to cover the exposed pine including the headstock. I used maple plugs for a number of the screw points eg bridge neck. I went up to 4000 grit and used shellawax to give it some finish however other than that it's pretty basic.

The rest of the parts are quite cheap end such as the bridge and pickups however this thing is really nice to play and sounds pretty sweet. The neck appears to be quite solid at this stage (time will tell) and I have only needed to adjust the truss rod once prior to joining it to the body.

Obviously this is not gig worthy and can't take a beating like other guitars. Pine scratches so easily. However for sitting in front of an amp and just playing it's great. It was only ever intended as an exercise to see what it would sound like so I didn't spend much time, money or energy on it. Overall I'm pretty pleased though.

I have attached some pics and I also included a pic of a body I recently put together. Not sure what I'm going to do with it however it looks good thus far. It's rock maple hollow carved (would have been pretty weighty as a solid) with a bookmatch black maple top (another piece from a previous build)

cheers
    Andrew

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Awesome awesome awesome. I been meaning to try a pine laminate neck forever. Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jef Long View Post
    Awesome awesome awesome. I been meaning to try a pine laminate neck forever. Great stuff
    Thanks Jef. Give it a go mate what's the worst that can happen. I've actually been using this one a fair bit recently and it's holding up really well (tuning and structurally)

Looking pretty good Cagsy

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kamusur View Post
    Looking pretty good Cagsy

Steve
    thanks mate