Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Which way is quarter sawn used in a neck ?

What is the way you use quarter cut timber in a neck ? A or B

And what about braces
    when I see pictures of braces they are cut like A most of the time.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Diagram A is the correct way to use quarter sawn timber in a neck and I would have thought diagram B in braces but I have often seen them the other way in spruce as the growth rings are quite rigid and provide a stiffness.
    Quarter sawn orientation is used because of the difference between radial and tangential shrinkage. In short the quarter sawn orientation is the most stable so it should be used over the widest dimension.
    cheers
    Steve

Interesting thanks Steve. In R H Siminoffs book he did some tests , B was stiffer.than A

But B can move more if there was a change in moisture content, that gets through the finish. because it's wider across the Tangent ? right name for it ?

I just got my text book out and did some more reading on it,Tangential does more moving around that radial does.
    I put some of these pictures in Iwieldthespade's thread on Blackwood neck,last night.

So it was a trick question aussie, it had to be coming from an experienced poster and certainly not a surprise question, it will be your answer that surprises most. And quarter sawn originally meant the log was initially cut into quarters along its length but we have all come to expect that it now means that looking on end we see vertical grain lines like the A examples.

Steve

Auscab,
    your diagram is accurate. Tangential refers to a line drawn at a tangent to the growth rings. Tangential shrinkage is often double radial shrinkage. It follows that changes in moisture content will lead to greater movement along the wider dimension if it is sawn parrallel to the tangent.
    Kamsur - you've lost me. Quarter sawn timber has growth rings that are perpendicular to any line drawn from the centre of the log to the bark (along the line of the radius). Don't think I can make it any more confusing than that.

cheers
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by kamusur View Post
    So it was a trick question aussie, it had to be coming from an experienced poster and certainly not a surprise question, it will be your answer that surprises most. And quarter sawn originally meant the log was initially cut into quarters along its length but we have all come to expect that it now means that looking on end we see vertical grain lines like the A examples.

Steve

It wasn't designed as a trick question Steve .
    A lot of the books I have talk of quarter sawn for the neck but dont describe which way. I didnt go through all my books to check this before I asked though.
    I just thought that I would post it and see what comes back.
    When Stopper / Steve put his reply on and spoke of the tangential and radial movement , I then realized what I should be reading up on, The book was in front of me, and I thought it would add interest to the thread to put the diagram back up.
    I did not know the answer before I posted the first question though .

I think it's interesting that the usual way to orient the end grain is like A in the first diagram, and that makes sense now , when you look at an acoustic neck in section at the half way point, Or all along the neck , but it's the opposite when you get down to the heel, it's now wider in the wrong direction. If the dry neck was affected by a change in its moisture content, it's more probable that it would do the moving at that point .

Hmmm ?? does that mean it will be an easier fix?

Try reading war and peace, quarter sawn -is quarter sawn I replied and so did Steve Stopper. So we should all know by now.
    Wish someone would do a guitar build.

Quote Originally Posted by woodturner777 View Post
    Try reading war and peace, quarter sawn -is quarter sawn I replied and so did Steve Stopper. So we should all know by now.

Bob you are such a natural at being offensive!!
    It’s more about necks and quarter sawn than just quarter sawn.
    Bugger War and Peace , go read The Hite Report.

Quote Originally Posted by auscab View Post
    Bob you are such a natural at being offensive!!
    It’s more about necks and quarter sawn than just quarter sawn.
    Bugger War and Peace , go read The Hite Report.
    It was not meant to be offensive, if it came across that way then I apologize.

See what happens as you get older Ausc lol a man can become more cynical. Stop is right about the shrinkage etc. Pretty heavy read that W & P Bob. Have a good weekend guys.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by woodturner777 View Post
    Lol doesn't seem to be many builds around here lately. I'm starting some soon. Just trying to save some cash back up. I just bought a les Paul ultra 2 so I'm broke lol...and extremely happy with my purchase!

Not many builds going on I wonder if it's got any thing to do with the frigged up economy that plenty of people are feeling ?

In the National anthem there is a line
    "weve golden soil and wealth for toil" any one ever wondered just how mich toil they are talking about !!!

And the taxation BS !!

Think I need to listen to the two sides of Plastic Surgery Disaster by the dead Kenedys. Might cheer me up

Not many builds going on I wonder if it's got any thing to do
    Think I need to listen to the two sides of Plastic Surgery Disaster by the dead Kenedys. Might cheer me up
    Or maybe post a review of "The Hite Report"

Aussie if you are talking loofery then only toil and no wealth to be had here.

Steve

Not many builds going on I wonder if it's got any thing to do with the frigged up economy that plenty of people are feeling ?

In the National anthem there is a line
    "weve golden soil and wealth for toil" any one ever wondered just how mich toil they are talking about !!!

And the taxation BS !!

The figged up economy is just as figged up over here in the USA too It's been so bad for so long, I done forgot what life is like in a good economy. I have five YES five sons in college right now because the folks at the unemployment office said there are no jobs go to school. That's all fine and dandy to say but guess who gets left holding the dripping bag? Yep Me "Daddy War Bucks" not only is the economy so bad that my sons can't find decent work... dear old dad gets to pay for not one, but 5 to go to to college. Despite the fact that I'm of the working poor. I'm under going a 4 string bass build, I got 3 gardens going and I've rounded up 100's of canning jars. I really need to stay busy, else I might get depressed thinking about all that $$$ going to colleges. That's change you can believe in right there... Sorry for the rant not your problem it's mine.

BTW to answer your question I've build necks both ways. We just need to remember the fact that wood is wood and it's gonna move if it wants to and it really doesn't matter much which way you place the grain - that's what truss and carbon fiber rods are for
    Mills Custom sawing - Everyone wants my wood