Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Neckthru Build

I figued instead of just posting finished pics I'll post progress pics of this build.

Most builds I have an idea planned in advance of what I'm doing, this build I'm going to just wing it. I'll choose the specs and timbers as I go. Let the guitar tell me what it wants to be!

The neck is laminations of Mahogany, Maple and Brazillian Rosewood.
    The body is most likely going to be Tasmanian Blackwood over Mahogany but I'm not 100% locked into this yet.

Knowing me there'll be either ebony or Rosewood stringers between the neck and body, but until I've decided what body timber I'll use I won't know. Most likely Ebony though, I love ebony stringers.

I'll be playing with a bit of scarf joint lamination and the headstock will most likely be Sassafras.

Ok, the pics:

I ran a few pieces through the thicknesser to get them close to size:

You can see all the neck lamination pieces here layed out in the order they'll be glued:

Just before lamination I run them through the drum sander to make sure the surface is perfect:

I've pre drilled guide holes in locations where I'll be cutting away timber, but this means the glue process is much easier without having so many layers slipping around on me:

As it sits now, in clamps, I have two failed necks as clamping blocks so the clamps don't ruin the surface where I plan to attach the body:

I have five guitars on the go at the moment, so this one will just get built in the background while I'm in between stages with the others, I'll post updates as things get done but it won't be super fast!

Cheers

Allan.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking good. Nice to see some building around here. I'm mighty envious of your workshop lol. Where abouts are you from and where do u source all ur timber?

Quote Originally Posted by floody_85 View Post
    Looking good. Nice to see some building around here. I'm mighty envious of your workshop lol. Where abouts are you from and where do u source all ur timber?
    I'm located in Ballarat, Victoria Australia

Depends what timber you're talking about, some comes from AFT in melbourne, some from Robert Sims timberyard, lots of the stuff I've been using for several years came from a local timberyard called Bertrams but he no longer carries exotics and my supplies from him are nearly all gone, a heap come from a guy selling privately who was milling dropped growth and had it stored for decades but he's not selling anymore, some came from wood expo's (for example the Braz Rosewood in this neck), then I guess ebay and a few online stores in America. Then I have a local tool shop that has a heap of random stuff in stock from time to time, mostly furniture timber like redgum etc and nothing good for instruments, but occasionally he has something golden, it's never consistant from there, it'a always odds and ends.

I figure I'll try some fingerboard inlay on this one. Two different maples and a rosewood into an ebony board with ebony binding.

Heres a mock up of what I'm trying to design but it still needs some "dialing in"

EDIT:

Here it is smoothed out a bit and with some different colors to help give the idea of timber (ie ebony board with Maple and Qld maple swirls)

Still more editing to do - I'm happy with frets 1-12 (the right side) but after that still needs some major tweaking.

nice! , definately watching this one

Think I'll go with this version:

Easy part is done, pieces rough cut, now for the long tedious part, getting them to fit together

Nice work demonx, you seem to be a most prolific builder & have some good looking gear.
    Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.
    (i'll have to look at starting a build thread, get some pics happening on one I have going....)

Roscoe

Update:

I forgot I even started this build.

Well, I screwed up the inlay, actually the inlay itself is fine, I just cut out too much space into the board, so it went into the scrap bin to recycle into something else and the inlay pieces I've decided were too "busy" for this guitar anyway, so I'll probably put a more simple board on when I get back to working on it.

For the now the neck blank is just laying to the side of my other projects