Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default CNC 101 - a beginner's course - just an idea so far.

OK guys. In a few threads on the metalworking forum the idea of a CNC has been raised a number of times and most recently, a few people have asked if someone could run an "introductory course".
    I'll pull together some of the relevant posts here and let it develop form and idea into a plan from there.
    Cheers,
    Joe

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Here is a summary of the relevant posts in the metalworking thread

rodm
    ...BT I'm not sure if you are a having a semi-seniors moment thinking about a CNC machine.
    Happy to discuss the pros and cons of a Chinese machine like Ray has - they are good value but there are a few traps if you base your decision on price only.
    If anyone is interested in a CNC demo or introduction to CNC I can arrange something for the Perth members. Numbers would have to be limited to six or so at a time as viewing space is limited.
    Cheers, Rod
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RayG
    Put me down for the CNC course as well, Josh is the expert around here...
    Regards
    Ray
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Abratool
    Bob,
    I think a basic CNC course would be something I would be interested in attending, & guess there would be a lot of others interested.
    regards
    Bruce
    Big Shed
    As would I.

jhovel
    Could you script your course a bit and get someone to video it when you do it?
    That way us Easterners could take part in the CNC 101 as well.
    OTHOH - Harty69 might be convinced to run such a course of us Mexicans perhaps? Peter????
    Cheers,
    Joe

harty69
    if there is a few people interested and they want to come to the center of the known universe I am sure we can organise something
    cheers
    Harty
    jhovel
    Now you are talking!
    What I guess is that some of us have been doing a lot of reading, watching Youtube videos and caught a glimpse of a machine here or there - but haven't quite got the bigger picture yet. Where do you start - after dreaming about making bits you can't now? what hardware is available and affordable? what software skills are needed? what are the risks and pitfalls? where can I get help if things go wrong? how is the operation of a CNC router different to a CNC mill? What's the point of a CNC lathe?
    Can I build a CNC machine myself? Should I start with a small machine? or gamble on my skills and build or buy one that does everything I ever dreamt of doing? what is available secondhand? is it possible and sensible to consider modifying an industrial CNC machining centre? etc....
    Covering that sort of quiestions while demonstrating the several CNC machines you and Jayson have there would be brilliant! It may even take a weekend to do!
    I would guess if you and Jayson teamed up and split the group and the topics covered, you could accommodate 12 or more people - and I'm sure that many would come.
    Perhaps a fee-paying event might be needed to take that much of your time though.
    Food for thought.....
    Cheers,
    Joe
    harty69
    hi Joe
    maybe start a new thread to gauge interest so we dont hjack ray's waxing antics
    cheers
    Harty
    RayG
    I think a thread on CNC classes at the center of the universe, would be a great idea...
    Over to Harty...
    Regards
    Ray

Rod (rodm) is obviously in WA and may be able run an introductory day or two over there.

Peter (Harty69) (and Jayson, his colleague and friend and fellow CNC enthusiast) are in Horsham, Central-West Victoria - and they choose to call that the "centre of the Universe".

My hope would be that these two guys might be able to be convinced to have a weekend CNC intro course - maybe for a fee - for members who would be prepared to travel to the "Centre of the Universe" and enjoy a bit of country Victorian hospitality to boot.
    Cheers,
    Joe

What a great idea. I have no interest in building my own cnc but would love an introductory course on their use. Maybe they could holiday in NSW at some stage as well.
    Cheers,
    Paul

have one in every area across australia (2-10 per group ) at the same time , and "skype" the groups together , just a web cam and internet connection , late start for easterners , early for westerners
    most cncers have 2 pc's , even yahoo , will let you open a room and use voice/cam for a group forum ( any admin administrates here ,why go to yahoo ??/) people who cant attend can still watch and ask questions
    every one hears other groups questions

all it take's is one person the night before to open a room ( i can do it ) ,
    the cnc's test there connections and pages the night before , to make sure they know how to log on , and find the room
    ( easy ) down load " yahoo messenger " log in a name ( area -cnc) so uninvited names can be easily sorted ( you need CNC in your name or your a "bot" )
    publish the " instructions in ubute " on how to get there , and set a time for each state ((( country???))

you get a running page of text , for every one , a voice connection 1 , and can run video/ sound

the next question is how many cnc's want to open there sheds to strangers ? from ubute

( they do live local to you and do have gear you might want to learn how to use , you probably nod to them at the shops , but dont know there name )
    how come a 10mm peg dont fit in a 10mm hole

If a cnc course becomes available in Perth, I am interested to attend.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry,

If another five can be rounded up in Perth I can prepare notes to keep everyone interested for a day.

Venue would be my place and space is limited so that is why the cap on numbers. There are three working machines here so participants will be able to get some hands on experience.

If there is more interest I'll start to outline a course.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Default CNC Course in Perth

Hi Gerry & Rod,

I would be interested to attend a course in Perth.

Regards,
    Zvon

Thanks Zvon

We'll need a few more and once the numbers are there I'll suggest a date on a Sunday probably three to four weeks from now and see if it will fit in with everyone. Open to suggestions at this stage.

This will be a freeby and I'll throw in a sausage sizzle for lunch.

I will use Vectric software for CAD/CAM and Mach3 as a machine controller so standard software for the hobby market. Everyone will get the opportunity to operate a CNC machine and will take away a completed project with them.

This is aimed at a novice so I don't expect anyone to have CNC experience but I do expect attendees to have some computer experience - a forum user that can turn on a computer and point and click is good enough.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Hello Rod,
    I am coming to perth at the end of May if this helps. Hope we can get a few more takers.
    Cheers Gerry

You can count me in Rod, I am actually getting close to finishing my machine and it would be good to get some instruction and an opportunity to ask questions

Regards

Warrick

Default CNC course

Hello Rod I would love to attend the course , a little difficult when one is self employed
    I’m saving my pennies and buying the 4 axis CNC machine frpom China at the end of the month and boy I can use all the help and knowledge that you guys have.
    If you put it on a DVD I’ll buy a copy , prepared to pay for it up front.

Cheers Gaetano

Oh boy, with all that interest in WA it seems the centre of the universe has shifted

Interwood is offline Support your kids ... buy Australian made

Default Count me in too :-)

Hi Rod,

I would love to attend such a course too please.

I have gone down the road with a small CNC Laser 12 months ago, but while I can do business cards - size is a major limitation.

Best regards,

Chris

Hi Fred,
    It is our best kept secret.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast