Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Adrieke my solution is using Firefox to browse this forum or you could use google chrome. Kinda of irritating but for some reason IE just wouldn't work and I have version 10 with the latest updates.

Bret
    Thanks for that Bret. I thought you'd found a way around it, but couldn't remember what it was.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Glue for veneer?

Howdy all,

I just joined the forum after coming across this discussion while googling for tips on applying veneer. I'm building what I thought was the same model, but I must have a much earlier edition; some of the construction is very different. Mine's an Aresiana Latina model, "The Concord - Stage Coach 1848" ref: 16004, and it's also a 1:10 model, but my upholstery isn't leather and there were a bunch of steps with a zillion basswood strips you had pictures on the outside of your coach interior. I didn't understand what that was all about... can you clear that up for me?

Other than building a glow engine-powered R/C airplane trainer, this is my first scale wood model. When I started it, I just used the glues and techniques I used on my airplane; i.e., epoxy and CA glues. The CA bled through the veneer, so I used contact cement for the first couple strips. It worked great, and looks good, but I read today that it usually only lasts about 5 years. I can't figure out what glue to use for the veneer; clamping all the bends and getting good contact throughout would seem to be very difficult. With the contact cement, I just coated both surfaces, let it dry, then pressed it together. Beautiful looking results, and very easy... but I didn't realize it doesn't last well. Can you share your veneering technique with me, please?

Thanks! Your model looks great. I got mine as a gift about 20 years ago, but never got around to it until recently. So nice to be able to follow your build here!

Best to you,

Barry

Just stumbled on this log Adriaan. Congratulations on a fabulous build - she's a real beauty!

Cheers,
    Grant

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by musechaser View Post
    Howdy all,

I just joined the forum after coming across this discussion while googling for tips on applying veneer. I'm building what I thought was the same model, but I must have a much earlier edition; some of the construction is very different. Mine's an Aresiana Latina model, "The Concord - Stage Coach 1848" ref: 16004, and it's also a 1:10 model, but my upholstery isn't leather and there were a bunch of steps with a zillion basswood strips you had pictures on the outside of your coach interior. I didn't understand what that was all about... can you clear that up for me?

Other than building a glow engine-powered R/C airplane trainer, this is my first scale wood model. When I started it, I just used the glues and techniques I used on my airplane; i.e., epoxy and CA glues. The CA bled through the veneer, so I used contact cement for the first couple strips. It worked great, and looks good, but I read today that it usually only lasts about 5 years. I can't figure out what glue to use for the veneer; clamping all the bends and getting good contact throughout would seem to be very difficult. With the contact cement, I just coated both surfaces, let it dry, then pressed it together. Beautiful looking results, and very easy... but I didn't realize it doesn't last well. Can you share your veneering technique with me, please?

Thanks! Your model looks great. I got mine as a gift about 20 years ago, but never got around to it until recently. So nice to be able to follow your build here!

Best to you,

Barry
    G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and a top forum "Barry''.
    There are quite a few members in the USA and across the globe.....
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes; just like Adrieke's very fine build.
    The toymakers and scale modellers are a top mob of blokes from across the globe.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork/toymaking/scale modelling ...
    Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

Just checking up on you Adriaan and on the project progress???? Peter

i just came to this page because i was looking for tip for building the stagecoach ,i am building the same,yours look very very nice so far i will read you closely and fallow your next step thanks

Default more interest in seeing the end result!!!

Just checking up on you Adriaan and on the project progress???? Peter

I really enjoy watching the work in the progress!!)) amazing!) I like to admit the conversion of the mess of details into a well built ready model!)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567